How to Apply
The majority of students who seek admission to the ME degree program come either as transfer students from local community colleges or from the lower division program at UW Bothell. The decision for admission to the program is entirely made by the ME faculty and the ME program academic advisor. The ME program admits new students twice a year, for Autumn and Winter quarters. The process for admission to the ME degree program proceeds as follows. Transfer students seeking admission to the ME degree apply by sending completed forms along with supporting documents to the University of Washington Bothell Admissions Office. The Admissions Office forwards the ME degree applications to the ME academic advisor.
The deadline for Winter 2023 is October 22nd.
Please note that students accepted to start in Winter quarter will be required to take Summer classes.
As a completive major, the ME admissions committee reviews each application on its individual merit, and decides on case-by-case basis. The committee’s goal is to admit students that will be successful in the program. In making the decision, the committee reviews the applicant’s overall GPA, checks the applicant’s strength in mathematics and physics, and, equally important, reads the applicant’s personal statement to see if the applicant possesses unique ability or character qualities that would enable him/her to succeed in the program.
Application steps for transfer students:
- Complete core requirements and prerequisites.
- Provide one official transcript from each college or university you have attended. Note: If you have attended a Washington state community college(s), please have your transcript(s) sent electronically (NOT faxed). In, addition please provide an official high school transcript.
- Complete the online application with a Personal Statement and $60 application fee. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application by the priority application date.
Current UW Bothell students should contact the School of STEM with any questions about the internal application.
Students are eligible to apply to the BSME degree program after completing successfully a specific set of prerequisite courses. A grade of 2.0 or equivalent is required in all courses applied to the BSME degree.
UW Bothell and UW Seattle course equivalents are shown.
- B WRIT 134 Interdisciplinary Writing
- ST MATH 124 Calculus I (UWS: MATH 124)
- ST MATH 125 Calculus II (UWS: MATH 125)
- ST MATH 126 Calculus III (UWS: MATH 126)
- ST MATH 207 Differential Equations (UWS: MATH 207)*
- ST MATH 224 Multivariable Calculus (UWS: MATH 224)*
- B PHYS 121 Physics - Mechanics (UWS: PHYS 121)
- B PHYS 122 Physics - Electromagnetism and Oscillatory Motion (UWS: PHYS 122)
- B CHEM 143/4 General Chemistry I/Lab 1 (UWS: CHEM 142)
- B ME 221 Statics (UWS: AA210)
- B ME 222 Mechanics of Materials (UWS: CEE 220)
- B ME 223 Dynamics (UWS: ME 230)
*New prerequisites required for Autumn 2018