Students use various forms as part of their studies to make academic requests such as taking a 400-level course, waiving a program requirement, or enrolling in independent study.

Form requirements

All responses must be typed (hand-written documents will not be accepted). Depending on the form, submission is either completed through DocuSign or a PDF emailed to

Select a form to view the instructions and access the form:

B EE 400-Level Course Petition

To be used when requesting enrollment in a B EE 400-level course that will be counted toward your degree requirements. Remember, that a maximum of 10CR of 400-level classes is allowed with prior GPC (Graduate Program Coordinator) permission. Please read the following information carefully before filling out the petition form.

Generally, requests are processed within one week of receipt. During peak times of the academic year (e.g. first week of registration, summer orientation), responses may take longer. To allow time for review and approval before the quarter begins, please submit your request at least two weeks in advance. For inquiries into petition status, email the MSEE Graduate Advisor.

Taking a 400-level class may be a good option if you have not previously studied the topic(s) in your bachelor’s degree or GCEEF program, and at least one of the following conditions applies:

  1. There is no corresponding elective offered at the graduate level.
  2. The corresponding elective at the graduate level will not be offered during your degree plan. In this case, you should first discuss with the Graduate Advisor and appropriate faculty member, the possibility of doing an independent study (B EE 600). If an independent study is not feasible, a 400-level course may be approved instead.
  3. You would like to pursue an elective area as part of your thesis option, and the 400-level course provides needed framework for the knowledge of a relevant topic.


  • Two courses with a high percentage of overlapping content cannot be taken For example:
    • B EE 436 and B EE 533
    • B EE 437 and B EE 533
    • B EE 442 and B EE 511
    • B EE 445 and B EE 515
    • B EE 450 and B EE 550
    • B EE 455 and B EE 555
    • B EE 457 and B EE 557
    • B EE 478 and B EE 571
    • B EE 486 and B EE 545
  • B EE 425 is not an appropriate option if you have completed B EE 508, as the course content overlap is significant, and not informative to anyone who has already taken one or more of these classes.

Complete the Google form to submit it to your EE graduate academic advisor.

DocuSign Form: B EE 400-Level Course Petition form
Preview B EE 400-Level Course form

Graduation Petition

To be used when a student would like to petition for an exception to an MSEE program requirement. Students must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as a course syllabus, transcript, etc., so the E&M Division has the information needed to review and approve/deny the request.

Complete the DocuSign form for your MSEE graduate advisor and the EE Petition Committee to review.

DocuSign Form: MSEE Graduation Petition form
Preview MSEE Graduation Petition form page 1
Preview MSEE Graduation Petition form page 2

B EE 600 Independent Study

To be used when a student would like to begin an independent study or research project on electrical engineering topics conducted under the direction of a faculty member.

If a student would like to complete an independent study or research project, the first step is to discuss potential topics with a faculty member and academic advisor before beginning the form. Students should thoroughly answer questions 1-4 in a separate document, and make sure it is approved by the faculty advisor before uploading to the form. Each question should have one or two paragraphs in response, and serve to detail the work expected.

  1. Provide a description of the research/study you plan to undertake. Detail this description in such a way that typical people in EE society can understand what you are trying to do. (200-250 word minimum is recommended).
  2. What are the research/study questions that you want to answer at the end of the quarter? (200-250 word minimum recommended for item #2).
    • What research methods/techniques do you plan to use?
    • Please provide a project schedule, including proposed deliverable materials (papers, reports, presentations, others) and their due dates.
    • Justification for the requested credits (1 credit = 3 hours of work per week, the content and the deliverable measure up to a five-credits of work).
    • What other courses are you taking this quarter?
  3. At the conclusion of the quarter, how will you communicate what you have learned from your involvement in this research/study? (For example, written paper, oral presentation, poster presentation, others). (100-150 word minimum recommended).
  4. How will conducting this research contribute to your education and/or professional goals? (100-150 word minimum recommended).

After you’ve completed the questions and your answers are approved by your faculty advisor, you are ready to start the process of getting the B EE 600 contract signed via Docusign. The form will instruct you to enter your name and email as the student, as well as your faculty advisors name and email. In cases where the faculty advisor is a part-time faculty member, students will need to add the MSEE program coordinator as a signer. The MSEE program coordinator will confirm that the proposed research/study content is fit for the graduate program and the number of credits is adequate.

Once you click “Begin Signing” the form will appear with indicators for you to complete. Once you complete the form and sign your faculty advisor (and then MSEE Program Coordinator if needed) will receive an email to review and sign via DocuSign. Your academic advisor will receive a final copy and email you an entry code to register for B EE 600 once approved.

DocuSign Form: B EE 600 Independent Study or Research Agreement
Preview B EE 600 Independent Study or Research Agreement form page 1
Preview B EE 600 Independent Study or Research Agreement form page 2

B EE 601 Internship Agreement (international students only)

To be used when an international student is requesting CPT credit for an internship. Students must have an internship/company offer letter (step 1) and typed internship agreement responses (step 2) ready in order to send the faculty advisor the agreement for final review and signature (step 3). Once this form is signed and approved, the academic advisor will email the student a faculty code to register for B EE 601 and request they complete a CPT application through the International Student Portal.

Course Goals

By the end of the course, students will demonstrate the ability to:

  1. Apply their theoretical knowledge, methods, and skills to practical projects outside of campus,
  2. Engage in practical and/or industrial projects, and
  3. Reflect internship experiences back to their master’s thesis, coursework and/or future professional goals.

If a student would like to proceed with the internship agreement, follow steps 1-5

Step 1: Find an internship that will provide you with relevant work experience, and get a written offer letter, specifying start/stop dates of internship, assigned duties, salary, and number of hours you will be expected to work each week. Students are encouraged to reach out to the STEM graduate career counselor for support with their internship search.

Step 2: Answer questions 1-5 in a separate document and be prepared to upload the document to the agreement form. Limit your answers to a maximum of two typed pages.

  1. Clearly describe the details of your internship work, including the benefits of the proposed work (i.e., what is this internship experience intended to accomplish?).
  2. Provide a clear, detailed description of the academic merit of your proposed internship, and how it relates to your stated goals as defined above. Academic merit is defined as ways in which you will further develop your core and advanced technical skill levels as they pertain to your graduate studies and goals.
  3. Provide a detailed plan for your internship experience, including proposed deliverables and due dates.
  4. Provide a list of potential barriers and/or problems that may slow down or potentially prevent the successful completion of the work outlined for this internship experience.
  5. What methods and criteria do you propose for evaluation of this internship? Be specific.

Step 3: Find a B EE faculty member, preferably, one whose research interests are related to the work you will be doing as an intern, and set up a meeting with the faculty member to discuss your goals for the internship (i.e., your answers to the five questions on the B EE 601 Internship Agreement form). If this instructor agrees to be your faculty advisor for the internship, you can proceed with submitting the agreement form electronically.

DocuSign Form: B EE 601 Internship Agreement
Preview B EE 601 Internship Agreement form page 1
Preview B EE 601 Internship Agreement form page 2

Step 4: Once the faculty advisor signs the agreement and is approved, the academic advisor will email the student a faculty code to register for B EE 601.

Step 5: Once registered for course credit, complete a CPT application through the International Student Portal.

Request to Form a Supervisory Committee

To start the thesis process students must first form a supervisory committee. Please submit to your proposed committee this document and your answers to section 2 for their approval. Once committee members have signed their approval in section 3, submit both this cover sheet and answers for section 2 to EE graduate advisor at for an entry code. Entry codes will be sent by the EE graduate programs upon approval (and completion of Section 5) by the Divisional Graduate Program Coordinator.

For a full explanation of the thesis process, including style guides and rubrics, visit the ‘Thesis Process‘ page.

Request to Form Supervisory Committee form