Watch this video to learn more about navigating the Pre-Health Advising site!
Welcome to Pre-Health Advising at UW Bothell!
Are you preparing for a career in a health profession such as medical, dental, pharmacy or veterinary studies? A career in health is an incredibly rewarding profession. Pursuing a career in health is a challenging path and one that takes a lot of planning and preparation. On this site, you can explore different health careers and find resources here at UW Bothell that will help you aim high and achieve a career in health.
Pre-Health is not a major...
We define Pre-Health as a process a student goes through if they intend to enter a professional health field. The process includes:
- Exploring a variety of health care professions and understanding the type of work (e.g. patient contact, type of facility) involved and how this matches personal strengths, motivations, and preferences;
- Preparing for a selected health profession, which includes both academic (course planning and major selection) and vocational endeavors (job shadowing, volunteering, research, leadership, work experience);
- Applying to professional schools, which includes assessing readiness to apply, selecting schools, preparing for and taking entrance exams, and preparing a compelling application.
Choosing a major...
You can major in anything along the way towards a career in health and health care. Health professional schools don't consider an applicant's major in the admission process. There are specific requirements that each graduate and professional school may look for, and these are covered in the sections on the left side-bar menu.
Keep in mind that choosing a career in health care is not one decision but a series of decisions based on exploration, investigation, and reflection. Just completing a major is not enough to be successfully prepared for a healthcare program. You should continually assess your academic readiness, motivation, and skills in sciences as well as humanities and social sciences. Getting involved in healthcare (volunteering and shadowing) and community service are essential elements to exploring what the profession is really about, and this experiential learning will help you determine whether or not Pre-Health is a good match for you.
- Review the Pre-Health Advising Syllabus to learn more about our services.
- Use the links to find supports as you Explore, Prepare, and Apply to your professional health program!