Career resources for LGBTQIA+ students
As an individual who is queer, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, et al., entering the workforce, you may have questions or concerns about how to approach various aspects of your job, internship or volunteer search.
Frequent career-related questions
- Should I come “out” on the job/internship/volunteer site?
- Should I highlight experiences with LGBTQIA+ organizations on my application materials?
- Are there LGBTQIA+ friendly organizations/employers?
- What should I say or not say in an interview?
Unfortunately, many of these questions do not have one-size-fits-all answers. It is up to the individual to assess their situation and comfort level regarding how open they are about their sexual orientation.
UW Bothell Career Services provides a safe place for students to share their career related concerns and questions while assisting you in your application processes. Below are some resources that you may find useful. We encourage you to make an appointment as you start your job and internship search.
Job search resources
- Out For Work is a nonprofit dedicated to educating, preparing, and empowering LGBTQ college students and their allies for the workplace. Includes a career library of information and conferences for students and alumni.
- Out Professionals is a networking organization helping LGBTQ individuals connect to advance their careers. Resources include a directory of businesses, women’s network, LGBT events and links, and volunteer opportunities.
- Human Rights Campaign has resources on everything from coming out to addressing workplace discrimination, including a list of professional and student organizations
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce is the business voice of the LGBT community.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Lambda Legal is a national LGBT civil rights organization. Website includes information about workplace discrimination cases.
- Transgender Law Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender people in our society.
- National LGBTQ Task Force advances full freedom, justice, and equality for LGBTQ people.
- Out & Equal supports companies, HR, and Diversity & Inclusion professionals to help create workplaces where LGBTQ employees can be out and thrive. Learn about some diversity-friendly companies, success stories, and events/forums on their site.