Microsoft Visio and Project Software Removal
UW has renegotiated its contract with Microsoft and starting June 1, 2021, UW faculty and staff will no longer have access to Microsoft Visio and Project. UWB IT will remove the software from UW Bothell computers (including labs and classrooms) on Friday, May 28 to be in compliance with our new licensing agreement. This only impacts people using Windows computers.
How might this impact my computer?
- Microsoft Office desktop products (e.g., Outlook, Excel, Word) may close and be unavailable for a brief time (10-15 minutes) while the software is removed. Until the software is removed, we recommend working in Office365 or saving your work often.
- Find more information about using Office 365 on UW's Tech Connect website.
- Login to Office365 with your UW NetID.
What do I need to do?
- Starting Friday (5/28), verify removal of Visio and Project by using the search box to search for each application.
- If Visio and Project are still on your computer,
Any non-licensed use of the desktop applications starting June 1 will be in violation of the UW’s Microsoft licensing contract. If an audit finds unlicensed use, a department may be liable for fines and audit costs
Purchase a Visio or Project license for continued access
What are my options if I do not purchase a license?
- Faculty and staff who do not wish to purchase a license will still be able to view Visio and Project files through UW's Office 365 after June 1.
- UW students may find access and eligibility for these products through Azure for Education.
- Additionally, you have the option to convert your Project and Visio files:
If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org