Enrollment Requirements

Full Course of Study

You must pursue a full course of study each quarter to maintain lawful status. A “full course of study” is 12 or more credits per quarter for undergraduates, and 10 or more credits per quarter for graduate students.

In your final quarter you may take as few credits as required to complete your degree as long as you register for at least one credit and receive authorization for a reduced course load from ISS in advance. An online class cannot be the only class on your final quarter schedule.

Online & Hybrid Courses

Online: You can only take one online course per quarter and the majority of your credits must be in-person. During your last quarter (graduation quarter), you cannot enroll in only an online course.

Hybrid: Hybrid courses are currently classified as in-person.

S/NS Grading Option

Per UW policy, a student can only use the S/NS grading option up to 20 credits total during their time at UW Bothell. Thus, ISS advises students to use this grading option carefully.

Reduced Course Load

You may enroll part-time due to valid academic/medical reasons (if it meets requirements by immigration) during a quarter if you obtain a Reduced Course Load authorization from ISS. The RCL must be received and approved within the first 30-days of the quarter you wish to apply the RCL. You must discuss with an advisor to determine if you are eligible for the benefit.

Do not register for fewer than the required number of credits or withdraw from a course without first receiving permission from ISS.

Summer as final term

If you complete all of your degree requirements in Summer Session A, your program end date will be shortened to the last day of classes in that session.

Academic Deficiency

You must maintain “good” academic standing while a student in the United States. Meet your Professor, Program Advisor and/or ISS if you are having difficulty in your courses. It is better to receive a grade of “F” in a class than to drop the class and fall below full-time status.

Withdrawal from Courses

To cancel all your courses in the middle of a quarter, you must complete an Official Withdrawal form through the Registrars Office (Husky Hall Room 1130), and meet with ISS. You can request a Leave of Absence here: https://iss.uwb.edu/. Once your withdrawal is approved, you must depart the U.S. within 15 days to maintain status, except for authorized medical reduced course load.