Legal Services

The International Student Services encourages you to seek advice from credible immigration and legal resources, such as the following list provide. It is not advised to take legal advice from online resources/blogs or friends/family members, which are not always correct or reflect current legal information.

Support at UW Bothell

The University of Washington has a Student Legal Services Department available on the Seattle Campus. Bothell students are allowed to use those services.

Legal Services

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Immigration Questions: Before contacting a lawyer regarding an immigration issue, we advise you to consult with your International Student Advisor and visit the USCIS website for current information.

Arrested/Detained Questions: Getting arrested can have an impact on your ability to continue your studies at UW Bothell and negatively impact your legal F1 status in the U.S. Please contact your International Student Advisor and a lawyer for support right away.

Tenant/Renting or Contract Questions: Carefully read and understand any contracts that you are asked to sign. If you don’t understand something, ask right away. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and address any of your concerns.

Car Accident Questions: If you are in a car accident, you may find yourself needing a lawyer. Please contact your International Student Advisor for support right away. Remember you must have a valid driver’s license and purchase car insurance if you are going to drive in the U.S.. If you are in an accident, do not leave the scene of the accident – you need to exchange car insurance information with the other drivers involved.

How Do I Choose a Lawyer?

Before choosing a lawyer, call the offices of the lawyers you are considering and ask:

  • Are you specalized and/or experienced in my type of problem?
  • Do you charge a flat rate or hourly fee for this type of work?
  • Can you give me an estimate of the cost?
  • Can you estimate the amount of your time it will take to help me?

Once you decide a lawyer that you want to work with, make sure to carefully read and understand any contracts that you are asked to sign.

What if I Have a Problem with My Lawyer?

If there are problems, first try to discuss it with the lawyer and his/her firm. If you still cannot agree on a solution, you can consider contacting the Washington State Bar Association.