Transferring Out

Transferring out refers to transferring your F-1 SEVIS record from UWB to another SEVIS approved institution.

If you intend to transfer to another SEVIS approved institution, you must request a transfer out at the international student portal. When completing the request you will be asked for your preferred transfer date, the new school’s name, and the school’s SEVIS school code (you can ask the school if you’re unsure). In addition to those questions, you are also required to submit your acceptance letter to the new school.

Selecting a Transfer Date

The start date at your new school must be their next available start date and be within 5 months of your transfer release date or program end date, whichever is earlier. If the period of time between programs is longer than 5 months, your SEVIS record will not be transferred. Your new school will issue an initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number.

If you’re graduating from your program or completing Post-completion OPT, your transfer release date must be no more than 60 days after your program end date or EAD end date.

If you’re currently studying and want to transfer before completing your program, you must remain in classes until your chosen transfer release date.

If you’re an initial student and have not started classes at UWB, your transfer release date must be within 30 days of the quarter start date.

Employment While Transferring

You may only work on-campus at the school that has access to your SEVIS record. Check with the international student advisor at your new school to verify employment eligibility. You cannot work on-campus for UWB after the transfer out date.

If you’re a student on Post-completion OPT, your Post-completion OPT will automatically end on your transfer out date.

Travel While Transferring

If you will travel outside of the US while transferring between schools, you must use the I-20 from your new school when you re-enter the US. It is important to discuss your travel plans with your new school so that they have time to issue your new I-20.

Terminated & Completed SEVIS records

ISS will not decline your transfer request, but the receiving school can send you record back if they will not support an application of reinstatement. To save time and trouble, we will conduct a courtesy call to any school that will be receiving a terminated or completed record. If they will not accept your terminated or completed SEVIS record, you will have to speak to them about how to obtain a new initial I-20 instead.

Transfer-in forms for other schools

ISS does not complete or sign documents that belong to another institution. Transfer-in forms are not a regulatory requirement for the transfer process. If you have an acceptance letter to another school and request a transfer out, we will process your request.