Temporary Protected Status

Not to be confused with F-1 specific Special Student Relief. Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is granted by USCIS to individuals who cannot return to their home country safely. Temporary protected status may allow you to be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Official information about who is covered by TPS is available from USCIS. If you qualify, please contact a competent immigration attorney to help you file.

You can hold both TPS and your F-1 status at the same time. Please inform ISS if you have been approved for TPS or an EAD through TPS.