Vacation Quarter


Every student will be registered in SEVIS with Summer as their default vacation term unless you otherwise notify us.

What does this mean?

  • You will be registered in SEVIS as attending UWB full-time in Autumn, Winter, and Spring.

You will not be registered as attending in Summer unless:

  • Summer is the final term required to complete your program.
  • You notify us about a Non-Summer Vacation Quarter by requesting it in your International Student Portal.

What is a Non-Summer Vacation?

You may choose to study full-time during Summer and use Autumn, Winter, or Spring as a vacation.

To do this you must:

  • Be enrolled full-time for three consecutive quarters (including Summer) before your chosen vacation quarter.
  • Plan to return the quarter after your vacation.
  • Have no holds preventing you from registering in the following quarter.
  • Request the Non-Summer Vacation before your chosen vacation quarter.
  • Consult with your academic advisor to make sure required courses are available in Summer.


  • Program extensions will not be granted if you have chosen a Non-Summer Vacation and you do not have an academic plan made with your academic advisor.
  • Failure to enroll full-time after a Non-Summer Vacation will put your immigration status in jeopardy. Please ensure your courses are available.

What can I do during a vacation?

  • There are no academic requirements to maintain F-1 status during a vacation.
  • You can study with no minimum credit requirements.
  • You can take more than one online course.
  • You can choose to not study. Please check the program end date on your I-20 to make sure you can finish your program in time.
  • You can enroll in a course that requires fieldwork or work experience and apply for full-time or part-time CPT.
  • You can remain in the US or travel.

Need time off but not eligible for a vacation?

Email and tell us what is happening. An international student advisor will work with you and explain your options.

Health Insurance

If you have not purchased the annual (12 month) coverage of the UW International Student Health Insurance Plan, please make sure you purchase other health insurance that will cover you during your vacation quarter. Contact the International Student Health Insurance Counselor for help with your insurance options.