New F-1 Student Session

All new F-1 students at UWB must attend this session. It is offered online before the start of every quarter. ISS will email you with details on how to connect to the session.

What information is covered?

Your UWB I-20 & F-1 visa

Your I-20 is the most important document to maintain while you’re an F-1 student in the US.

See more information


Things to consider when travelling outside of the US.

See more information


Record of entry/exit to US.

Get your most recent I-94 here

F-1 Enrollment Requirements

Maintaining full time enrollment.

See more information

Program Completion

Check your I-20 for your expected program completion date.

See more information

Program Extensions

Need more time on the I-20 to finish your academic requirements.

See more information


Common reasons for I-20 termination.

See more information

Annual Vacation

Your F-1 visa allows you to take one annual vacation quarter (usually summer) per year.

See more information

Leave of Absence (LOA)

Used for emergencies or situations when you can no longer maintain enrollment.

See more information

Reduced Course Load (RCL)

Enrolling in less than full time courses.

See more information

On-campus Employment

Eligible for part time employment on campus. Full time during your vacation quarter.

See more information

Practical Training Authorizations

Information about OPT and CPT.

See more information

UW Student Health Insurance

ISHIP is required for all F-1 students.

See more information


You don’t need to carry your passport everywhere you go.

Get a WA ID card or Driver’s License


If you’re unsure, always contact UWB ISS for immigration and enrollment advice. We’re happy to help you navigate your F-1 rules and restrictions.