Curricular practical training (CPT) is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. CPT is not supplemental training experience, but rather an integral part of an established curriculum.
- Be in your field of study
- Be integral or required for your degree.
- Be registered for course credit (talk to your academic advisor to see if you are eligible)
- Last no longer than one quarter
You can apply and receive CPT more than once as long as you are academically eligible.
CPT is required for:
- Unpaid employment or internships
- Paid employment or internships
CPT offer letter requirements:
- You will need a signed offer letter on the company’s letterhead that states the following:
- The site address you will be working.
- Your start and end dates that must not pre-date or exceed the current quarter.
- A detailed description of your duties.
An offer of employment or work contract is not the same as a CPT offer letter. Start/end dates and purpose of the training must align with the curricular requirement.
Always discuss off-campus opportunities with ISS even if they are offered by your course or professor. Working without authorization is considered a serious violation of your F-1 status. Please do not assume you are “volunteering”.
You can apply for CPT at https://iss.uwb.edu/.
Apply in advance! CPT Authorization cannot be backdated and can take 3 -5 business days to process. If you are an undergraduate student, you must have declared your major to apply.
Come to the CPT information session!
ISS will share information to help you through the application process, and answer your questions.
View the calendar
UW Bothell Career Services
Career Services provides students with valuable resources and guidance ranging from preparing your resume/cover letter, to how to find job openings through HuskyJobs. Visit Career Center’s online resources and special international student section to utilize the resources and attend their upcoming workshops and career events!
Find Companies Hiring Int’l Students
The GoinGlobal database helps you find internships or jobs in the U.S.
Notable companies where students are interning:
GDM Private Financial Solutions
Apollo Video Technology
Penn Schon Berland
Pacific Science Center