Join Global Scholars
Become part of a supportive, diverse community!
Students from diverse — often marginalized — backgrounds have valuable perspectives, impressive aspirations, and meaningful reasons to pursue global education and the Global Scholars Program seeks to enhance the resources and support to launch their global journey.
One of the goals of Global Scholars is to consider identity as central to global engagement. The majority of Scholars are first in their families to be pursuing a 4-year-degree, receive Pell Grants and use financial aid to help fund the cost of their study abroad or global internship program (virtual or in-person). They have a wide range of diversity in their backgrounds which includes socioeconomic status, as well as race, ethnicity, nationality, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, and disability. They vary by academic disciplines and class standing. Program Directors work with every Scholar to help them identify funding resources and apply for scholarships. Participants in the 2024 cohort of Global Scholars will receive a $500 participation stipend funded by the UW Distinguished Teaching Award and the Office of Connected Learning.
UW Bothell students can apply to Global Scholars each autumn quarter. Students who apply after the priority deadline will be considered if all cohort spaces have not been filled. The Global Scholars Program expects to accept 15-20 students each year.
Selected students are required to participate in:
- Winter Quarter workshops,
- BIS 318, a 3-credit course during Spring Quarter,
- a global experience during the summer, and
- BIS 418, a 5-credit course in Autumn Quarter.
Students with questions about their eligibility to participate in Global Scholars should contact our team at BeGlobal@uw.edu.
Information Session Recording
Global Scholars and program directors led an info session on Wednesday, October 25. If you missed it, you can watch the recording here.
Ready to apply?
The online application asks you to share information about you and your background, and respond to two essays prompts. It is estimated to take 60 min to complete.
- Explain your interest in this program. In what ways do you expect that Global Scholars will align with your interests and aspirations? (300-600 words)
- What are your motivations for engaging with a diverse community of peers? In your response, describe a past experience in which you faced a challenge while collaborating with others. How did you overcome this challenge? (200-300 words)
Students will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Perceived effort in application responses.
- Interest in the topics of global citizenship and global engagement.
- Curiosity and cultural humility: willingness to learn about self and other cultures and engage positively with diverse others.
- Potential impact of program involvement on self and the community.
Apply now to join the 2024 cohort of Global Scholars. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis through December 2023.
You’re welcome to contact email@example.com for support in your application submission and questions you have about Global Scholars!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org