Students planning to study abroad during any upcoming academic term are invited to apply. The application typically opens 3-4 weeks before the deadline.
The UW Bothell Study Abroad Ambassador Scholarship helps to offset expenses required to participate in a study abroad program. Applicants must be current UW Bothell students enrolled in a degree program, residents of Washington State, have a minimum 2.75 GPA, and commit to promoting study abroad opportunities in the Bothell community upon their return as a Study Abroad Ambassador. Awards range from $1,000 to $2,000.
Above: Kendall Wiggins in Machu Picchu, Peru. Read about the experiences of previous Study Abroad Ambassadors on our UWB Global blog.
Students will be selected for the UW Bothell Study Abroad Ambassador Scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Enrollment in a UW Bothell degree program.
- Washington State residency.
- Acceptance into an academically or personally relevant, credit-earning study abroad program, in-person or virtual. (Acceptance is not required at the time of application).
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Track record of contribution to the community, in and/or outside the UW Bothell campus.
- Commitment to promoting study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community.
- Preference will be given to first time applicants.
Applications are submitted online. You will be asked to provide:
- Basic personal information.
- Resume: remember to tailor it to this application. Make sure to include a section with your involvement in the community in and/or outside the UW Bothell campus.
- Copy of most recent transcript (free from myUW).
- Name, dates, and relevance of your study abroad program.
- Estimated or actual airfare for your study abroad program. For virtual programs, the program cost.
- Essay describing how you plan to promote study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community (up to 500 words). Your plan should be feasible and focused on a specific audience that you can influence.
- Statement of financial impact.
Optional: One letter of recommendation from a faculty or staff member at UW Bothell, your previous institution, or a community organization who can attest to your contribution(s) to the community, in and outside of the classroom, and your ambassadorial qualities. While letters of recommendation are no longer required, as of Autumn 2022, they can provide helpful context about your background and experiences, and highlight your strengths.
Recommenders are asked to address the following prompts:
- In what ways does the student contribute to their community at UW Bothell and beyond? This can include students' contributions in class, group work, extracurricular activities, and community involvement.
- What persional and professional qualities will make the student effective at encouraging their peers to consider adding a global experience to their education?
Recommenders should send letters electronically to: Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives at email@example.com
There are four deadlines throughout the academic year. Complete your application and ensure submission of all supporting materials by the following dates for any upcoming program in any upcoming academic term:
- Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 11:59pm
- Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 11:59pm
- Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 11:59pm
- Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 11:59pm
Late applications will be deferred to the next application round, unless the program has already begun.
Notification and Disbursement
Award recipients will be notified by e-mail within four to six weeks of the deadline and their names may be announced publicly via UW Bothell media and publications. Funds will be credited to the recipients' UWB tuition statement in the quarter following their study abroad program, via the Office of Financial Aid.
Meet the Ambassadors here.