UWB-IT implements Windows Update for Business May 9, 2022
UWB-IT is improving the way Microsoft Windows updates are deployed and managed across campus with the implementation of Microsoft Windows Update for Business (WUfB). After extensive testing, we are now ready to on-board faculty and staff computers. We wanted to provide you with information on this service change and what to expect.
Why Windows Update for Business?
- Run your computer’s updates on your schedule. WUfB allows you to defer an update to a later time that works for your busy day.
- Update from anywhere without Husky OnNet. Not on campus? No problem! WUfB will facilitate your updates without the use of Husky OnNet from anywhere with internet access.
- Increase safe computing practices. With quicker access to important security updates, WUfB will increase the number of UW Bothell computers that are up to date and improve our campus security posture.
When will this happen?
- UWB-IT will begin rolling out WUfB to staff and faculty Windows computers the week of May 9, 2022.
What should I expect?
- Pop-up notifications (like below) for available updates that provide options for scheduling installation.
- Don’t be concerned if you don’t see these changes immediately. Your computer may take some time to get the new configuration changes.
- Please note, if your computer is behind on updates, you may need to install a Windows Feature Pack. Be aware that this update may take longer than usual, however, WUfB will allow you to delay this installation or schedule it for a later time for convenience. Once your computer is caught up on updates, moving forward, thanks to WUfB, updates will take the typical amount of time to run each month.
What action do I need to take?
- If you are on campus starting May 9, you will automatically receive the WUfB change. No action needed.
- If you will not be on campus after May 9, you will need to log-on to Husky OnNet for installation.
Need more help?