International Student Services

Health Insurance

Required for All International Students at UW

Washington state laws require that international students on an F1 visa maintain adequate health insurance while attending the University of Washington. All matriculated international students in F-1 status at the University of Washington are required to purchase the University of Washington Student Health Insurance every quarter they are enrolled in courses.

Enrollment is Through MyUW

Enrollment for UW's International Student Health Insurance Plan (ISHIP) is through MyUW as part of the course registration process. The health insurance fee will be added to your tuition statement, which is due by the third Friday of each quarter.

Having troubles enrolling? Check out our helpful "how to enroll guide" here.

Dates of Coverage

Coverage dates for the current academic year are provided at:

Students should make every effort to be insured during their entire stay in the U.S., including the vacation quarters, grace periods, and while authorized on Optional Practical Training. ISS encourages all students to purchase the insurance plan for the entire year to ensure coverage year-round, whether or not the student is enrolled in courses each quarter.

If you need short term coverage before classes begin you may purchase short term coverage through the ISHIP plan beginning in summer quarter. Private insurance is also available from several sources, including Assurant and Lewermark.

UW Insurance Waiver Eligibility

Students should not expect to be able to purchase an insurance plan that is not through UW. The requirement to purchase the UW Student Health Insurance Plan may be waived only if you fit into one of the following categories and have comparable insurance that is valid in the U.S. are eligible for an insurance waiver: 

  • Exchange or visiting student attending UW through an official exchange program sponsored either by a UW academic department or the UW Office of International Programs & Exchanges.
  • Student funded by his or her government, or the U.S. government. Funding agencies include, but are not limited, to ARAMCO, SACM, and Fulbright.
  • Student receiving health insurance benefits provided by the U.S. employer of his or her parent, spouse or domestic partner.
  • Student enrolled at UW but doing research outside the United States.
  • Student working in the U.S. and receiving health insurance benefits through his/her employer.

Minimum Coverage: The insurance must provide a monetary minimum of $200,000 or more per medical condition per policy year, medical evacuation (at least $10,000) and repatriation of remains (at least $7,500).

Research or Teaching Assistantship: If you receive a graduate Research or Teaching Assistant appointment, you may be eligible for the Graduate Appointee Insurance Plan (GAIP). If you enroll, this will automatically replace the UW Student Health Insurance Plan and no waiver is required. More information on GAIP is available at:

Applying for a Waiver: Submit an Insurance Waiver Form online to the International Student Services no later than 1:00 pm on the tuition deadline (third Friday of the quarter). The waiver is online at:

Please direct insurance waiver questions to: .