Center for International Education

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

A SSN is used to track an employee’s wages for benefits eligibility and tax-reporting requirements. A Social Security Number is not required to obtain a driver's license, cell phone, credit card, insurance, admission to an academic institution or other "non-work" reasons.

As an F-1 international student, you are eligible to apply for a SSN only after you receive a job offer. It can take approximately 2-4 weeks for the Social Security Administration Office to process your application, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as you receive your job offer.

For more information about how & where to apply, please follow our helpful:
"How to Apply for My Social Security Number Packet" .

Additional information from the Social Security Administration:
International Students Applying for a Social Security Number