Non-Matriculated Students


Here are some commonly asked questions regarding the Non-Matriculated status:

How can I take courses as a non-degree seeking student?

To take courses as a non-degree seeking student you must register as either a Non-Matriculated (NM) student or a Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) student.

What is the difference between Regular Non-Matriculated status vs. Graduate Non-Matriculated?

There are two types of Non-Matriculated status: regular Non-Matriculated (NM) and Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM). The type you want depends on your goals.

  • NM: If you do not plan to use your Non-Matriculated coursework toward an advanced degree at the University of Washington, then you should register for regular Non-Matriculated status.
  • GNM: If you eventually want to enroll in a UW graduate program, and you want the courses you take here to count toward that degree (if applicable), then you need GNM status. GNM status DOES NOT guarantee admission to a graduate program and should not be viewed as a way of entering "through a back door".

    Not all graduate programs allow for GNM enrollment; please check with the department. Instructions are available on how to register for courses as a Graduate Non-Matriculated student.

    Note that individuals who have received a bachelor's degree but who are not current UW graduate students may apply. Admission to GNM status requires a bachelor's degree; 3.0 GPA in the last 90 quarter (or 60 semester) credits; and approval by the UW Bothell. Individuals with F-1 student visas are not eligible for GNM status.

When do I have to apply to receive a non-matriculated status?

You are encouraged to apply prior to the priority application date. Applications received after the priority date will be considered for admission on a space available basis.

How do I register for classes?

Once your application has been processed, UW Bothell Non-Matriculated and Graduate Non-Matriculated students can register for courses on MyUW during Registration Period 3 (in summer quarter, students can register beginning Registration Period 1). 

How do I change my status from non-matriculated to matriculated?

Students who wish to change their status from non-matriculated to matriculated must apply to do so by the priority application date of the program they wish to enter.

Are Non-Matriculated Students Eligible for Financial Aid?

Generally, to be eligible for aid, you must be a matriculated student in an approved degree or certificate program. The only exception is for non-matriculated students who are taking courses required for admission into an approved degree or certificate program. If you are taking courses required for admissions and document that with our office, then you can be considered for the Federal Stafford Direct Student Loan programs for a period of 12 consecutive months. You will be limited to borrowing only up to the annual limit for first-year students, depending upon your costs and financial need.

Download this document for financial aid as a non-matriculated student.