International Students

Transfer/Post-Baccalaureatte Students


An international student is an applicant who is not a United States citizen or permanent resident and plans to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary education institution in the U.S.  This includes applicants that hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or other nonimmigrant classifications.

International students who have completed college coursework after completing secondary (high school) education, regardless of the amount of credits earned, should apply as an international transfer student.

The information we provide in this International Admissions section is for international students who are not United States citizens or permanent residents and plan to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary educational institution in the U.S. This includes applicants that hold F-1 student visas, J-1 exchange visitor visas, or other non immigrant classifications. If you have dual U.S. citizenship, U.S. permanent residency, refugee status, or political asylum, you are not considered an international student. If you have applied for U.S. permanent residency (i.e., green card) and you anticipate it will be approved before enrolling at the UW Bothell, you should not apply as an international student but as a domestic First-Year, Transfer, or Post-Baccalaureate.

Undergraduate-level studies in the U.S. lead to the first university degree, a Bachelor’s degree either in Art or Science. A bachelor’s degree in any field of study generally takes four years to complete and includes general academic course work and course work in a specific area of academic interest. Students seeking undergraduate studies either have or will complete secondary-level education or are planning to transfer from another college or university, but have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.

Students who have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent may be eligible for graduate-level studies. Graduate study leads to a master’s degree, doctoral degree, or other professional degrees. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree and would like information on graduate studies, please see our webpage on graduate programs.

Application Process

International applications are reviewed by our trained international admission specialists. In some cases, our admission specialists also review the applications of U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and refugees who were educated outside of the United States.

The online application fee for international students is $75.

Minimum Admission Requirements for International Transfer Applicants

All international students must meet minimum admission requirements to be considered for admission:

Official International Credential Evaluation

All international post-secondary transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope or other means of official transmission directly from the issuing school to the Office of Admissions at UW Bothell for evaluation.  If the transcripts are not in English, they must be accompanied by an official English translation certified by the school or a certified translator and must be in the same format as the originals.  Any document that is submitted to the Office of Admissions to supplement the application becomes part of the official admissions record and will not be released back to the student.  Credential evaluation is part of the admission decision process.  You may consult with your advisor after you have confirmed enrollment to discuss transferability of credits.

UW Bothell will also accept international credential evaluations from any of the preferred agencies listed below or any agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).   All evaluations must be completed with official documents sent to the evaluation company directly from institutions. A course-by-course evaluation must be sent to the Office of Admissions at UW Bothell in a sealed envelope or other means of official transmission directly from the evaluation agency.

Course Equivalency Guide

Use the UW Course Equivalency Guide to find out how courses from a Washington State community or technical college will transfer to the University of Washington Bothell.

International Post Baccalaureates

Post-baccalaureate is a matriculated status, reserved for students who are working towards a second bachelor’s degree. Students are not eligible to earn a second bachelor's degree in the same field of study as their already earned bachelor's degree(s). Only a small number of applicants are admitted as post-baccalaureates because the University’s primary commitment is to undergraduates who are completing the first bachelor’s degree.

Post-baccalaureate students are exempt from meeting the core subject requirements.  However, they still must complete program prerequisites to apply to a major. The application of previous undergraduate-level courses toward graduation requirements will be determined by program faculty and advisors.

All post-baccalaureate applicants must also demonstrate their English language proficiency. Please review the different pathways for fulfilling the minimum English language proficiency requirement.


To students pursuing a first bachelor's degree, the Office of Admissions awards transfer credit according to the guidelines. Admissions reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions of higher education.

Admission to Majors

All first-year applicants are initially admitted to the university and not into specific programs and majors.  Transfer students may be admitted directly to a major depending on how many transfer credits are granted. Transfer students who satisfy the prerequisites for the major and/or who have 135 or more quarter credits granted must apply directly to the major.

Admission to the university does not guarantee admission into a specific major program or college. In all cases, admission to intended majors is a separate procedure, application, and/or review process. Most programs have additional GPA, prerequisite course work, and/or other requirements. Consult your major of interest to learn more about the admission expectations, requirements, and procedures for the major or program of interest to you.