Theft – Emergency Guide
What is the situation?
Most crimes reported to the police involve property rather than personal danger. Some simple precautions can cut down your risk.
What should I do?
- Always lock your car and close the windows. Never leave money, electronics or other items visible in your car.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lighted and heavily traveled area.
- Don’t leave backpacks, purses, laptops, tablets or phones unattended, even for a moment. It’s far too easy for someone to grab these items and run.
- Enable a required login password or code on your laptop and other mobile devices and enable encryption when possible.
- Be suspicious. Don’t open a building or lab for a stranger who doesn’t have a key. Report any suspicious behavior to Campus Safety as soon as possible.
- Identify your belongings with “property of…” so it’s harder for someone to pass them off as their own.
- Keep a written record of your valuables, including serial numbers and detailed descriptions (model number, color, etc.).