Don Whitney Scholarship for Graduate Students
Purpose of the scholarship
The purpose of the Don Whitney Scholarship is to encourage the growth and development of MBA students who demonstrate leadership qualities and have a passion for service to the community, either through their work or their volunteer activities.
The Don Whitney Endowed Fund for Graduate Student Support was established at the University of Washington Bothell in fond memory of Mr. Don Whitney, longtime manager of the School of Business Graduate Programs, who passed away on September 11, 2012. The fund, raised by alumni, friends and family, supports scholarships for Master of Business Administration (MBA) students who demonstrate a strong commitment to service within the community and/or in public service.
Don Whitney was the first manager of the MBA program at the UW Bothell School of Business. He helped the program grow and more than double its size from 2000 to 2012, all the while nurturing a strong bond between the school, students and alumni. A gifted athlete, Don was a member of the 1967 Oregon State Beavers “Giant Killers” football team that beat three top teams in one season. He was also a radio newsperson and taught part-time in the Oregon State University (OSU) Department of Religious Studies and Honors Program. He held a bachelor’s degree in political science from OSU and a master’s degree in religion from the School of Theology from Claremont Graduate School in California.
In remembering Don, Sandeep Krishnamurthy, former dean in the School of Business, said, “Don convinced students that they could meet the high standards set by faculty. He persuaded faculty that if we have faith in students, they can do amazing things. He convinced all of us that, if we treat everybody as human beings, we could be great.”
The Don Whitney scholarship is a loving tribute to a person who, in the view of many MBA alumni, influenced the lives of everyone he worked with in a very positive way and influenced future students and the community.
Two scholarships of $2,500 each will be awarded in the 2022-23 academic year. Scholarships will be applied to spring quarter tuition and fees.
The scholarship is offered once every academic year and is non-renewable.
The scholarship award committee is comprised of MBA program staff and faculty as well as staff in UW Bothell Advancement.
Scholarship recipients will be required to submit a thank you letter to the donors and attend the Don Whitney Scholarship Fundraising Event, should it be held.
- For 2022-23, first-year MBA students in the 2024 cohort are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the MBA Program at UW Bothell and registered in spring quarter 2023 courses.
- Successful applicants should have significant volunteer service to their community and/or experience working in public service with the intention of continuing involvement in community and/or public service.
Application deadline: March 24, 2023, 11:59 pm (PST)
Award notification: The week of April 3, 2023
How to apply
To apply, upload the following to the Google form linked below:
- A headshot of yourself (only include a headshot if you grant us permission to share your picture on our website and social media should we select you for this scholarship)
- One PDF (of no more than 1GB) containing both:
- A resume highlighting your volunteer community service and/or your professional work in public service
- An essay of approximately 500 words addressing how your volunteer community service and/or your profession in public service changed your life and/or contributed to who you are as a person
(Make sure you’re signed into your UW Google account before accessing the application form.)