Empowerment \ Diversity \ Growth \ Employability
Connect students with a community of mentors and peers for critical career mentorship and ongoing professional and personal guidance.
To empower students to transform their lives and the world through personalized mentoring opportunities from exceptional business leaders.
- Participants get to know each other by sharing their dreams, challenges, and successes.
- Together they discuss professional development topics such as how to seek and apply for internships, how to prepare oneself to be the best candidate to land a dream job, and so much more.
- Mentors listen to their mentees while providing empathy, leadership, and coaching.
- Mentees show up with enthusiasm, prepared to make the most of this transformational opportunity.
- We encourage mentors to stay connected with their mentees even after their four quarters of formal mentorship, and to cross network within our EDGE community and with each other’s networks.
- We pride ourselves on the retention of our mentors, the satisfaction of all participants, and our continuous improvement processes.
We start with:
- Empathy – People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.
- Awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
To get to:
- Empowerment – We’re here to give you the tools and environment you need to transform your success trajectory.
- Growth – Everyone’s time is valuable. Show up with energy and intention, ready to grow!
- Employability – Let’s dive into what skills you need to develop to land your dream job.
Always keeping in mind:
Outcomes and Testimonials
Many students have told us that participating in Mentorship EDGE was a life-changing experience for them. Here’s what one student had to say:
"As a first-generation student at the University of Washington Bothell, the opportunity to be in such close proximity to influential leaders that are open to fostering my potential has been extremely impactful. Mentorship EDGE has empowered me to foster meaningful relationships and has brought opportunities I would've never thought was possible. " – Cindy
Read more testimonials here.
Meet your Mentorship Coordinator
Dear future mentors and mentees, it is my pleasure to meet you!
I will be your personal guide on this mentoring journey. Whether you have questions about how to apply, tips on how to make the most of your mentoring experience, or anything else, please feel welcome to reach out.
You may reach me directly at email@example.com, or instant message me on LinkedIn.
“I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.” Henry David Thoreau
What I like about my job:
Helping our exceptional and motivated students gain an EDGE in their success journey by connecting them to exemplary mentors and peers.
Hanging out with my husband and our kids. Whether we are at the park or playing dominos on the floor, there is nothing sweeter in the world for me!
Too many to choose from, but some are:
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Apply to be a mentee
Apply to be a mentor
Questions? Contact Elizabeth Prendergast at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Before Mentorship EDGE, I was unsure what to do after college. Mentorship EDGE introduced me to marketing leaders that helped me apply to jobs correctly. Mentorship EDGE connected me with people and an opportunity to apply to a job at my dream company. I am now an Account Development Representative at Auth0. I am honored to have been a part of this program. “- Diego
Read more here
We accept new applications each quarter. After students apply and are accepted, we introduce them to their mentors via email, provide guidance for their upcoming discussions, and invite them to our private LinkedIn group. Then it's time for our participants' kick-off meeting! We host these sessions in small groups. Afterward, we encourage further development of the relationship. We ask that students take the initiative and stay in touch with their mentors at least once per quarter over the next year. We ask that mentors respond enthusiastically, as their schedules allow. Finally, we host a fun and informative annual summer networking gathering for all Mentorship EDGE participants.
Your introduction meeting
We limit the size of the introduction meetings with a mentor to at most four students to ensure they remain meaningful and productive. The meetings are held at a variety of locations including UW Bothell, the Eastside Leadership Center, our mentors' companies, and remotely. They are usually about 90 minutes in duration. Beforehand, students and mentors review the Department of Education’s Employability Framework, and our program guidelines, to guide their discussion.
Developing Your Relationship
Mentorship EDGE is a flexible, participant driven program. Your ongoing engagement is key to making the most of this opportunity. Here are just a few examples of ways you can stay connected with your mentor, and continue developing your mentor/mentee relationship after your introduction meeting:
- Write your mentor a thank you note! A thoughtful thank you note is a small gesture that speaks volumes.
- Connect with your mentor on LinkedIn, and join our private LinkedIn Mentorship EDGE group.
- Ask your mentor a follow-up question from your last discussion, or, ask them a for guidance on a new topic such as job, internship, volunteering, or general professional advice.
- Ask your mentor to recommend a book or article for you to read, then read it and discuss.
- Tell your mentor about a recent accomplishment of yours and how their coaching has helped you achieve it.
- Set a date for next quarter to meet with your mentor again in-person or remotely. This is a great opportunity for further coaching!
- Join us at our annual Summer Quarter Mentorship EDGE Networking Event. This is another terrific opportunity for you to meet up with your mentor, as well as network with our other mentors and mentees.
How can I be a mentee?
We're thrilled you asked! Click "Apply to be a mentee" to learn more and apply.
Apply to be a mentee
How can I be a mentor?
Thank you for your interest in helping to transform students’ lives through mentorship!
Apply to be a mentor
Read our mentor's bios here.
Mentorship EDGE FAQ
What if my mentor and I don’t click, or my goals change, and I would like to learn from someone in a different line of business?
Mentorship and Menteeship is a skill. It is about relationship building, listening, and learning. Sometimes getting to know a new person can include a few speed bumps. That being said, if you feel like you and your mentor don’t click, that’s ok. It’s not a problem with you or them, it just may not be an ideal match at this time due to interests or scheduling.
We’re here to help! If you would like to be connected with a different mentor, or receive some coaching on how to develop a more meaningful and productive mentoring relationship, please contact Elizabeth Prendergast, Mentorship EDGE Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
When will Mentorship EDGE be offered again?
If you missed out on participating this quarter, don’t worry. Applications open quarterly.