Office of Research

Proposal Components

Proposal Components


"" Data Management

Resources and information offered from UW Libraries. Learn what Data Management is, what tools you can use to organize your research, and how to cite and archive your data. Learn about the DMPTool and SPARC. Visit the UW Data Management Page


""Export Control

Export Control is a set of regulations to restrict the export of information, services, technology, or goods in the interest of protecting national security. Depending on your research, and if you travel or work abroad, you may have to consider export control regulations.


""Working with Animals 

  • Visit the UW Office of Animal Welfare 
    The Office of Animal Welfare (OAW) facilitates the review of research protocols and grants involving live vertebrate animals.
  • Read about Animal Use Medical Screening
    The animal use health screening program evaluates and addresses potential health risks related to working with research animals. It is offered to all University faculty, staff, and students who work directly with animals or unfixed animal tissues or body fluids.


""Working with Minors - APS 10.13

The purpose of APS 10.13 Requirements for University and Third Party Led Youth Programs is to establish minimum requirements that serve as safeguards in protecting the well-being of youth (persons under the age of 18) who come into contact with University programs.

Research that is overseen by an Institutional Review Board (IRB) has some safeguards in place for “vulnerable populations,” including youth. APS 10.13 addresses additional critical safety and prevention measures such as background screening, training, conduct or personnel who interact with youth, emergency preparedness and response, and more broadly-defined health and safety measures that are not addressed by IRB requirements. This policy applies to all research led by the University of Washington that includes youth as a primary subject population and that involves in-person or virtual (e.g., online) interactions with youth.

Read more about APS 10.13


""Human Subjects

Research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB). At the UW, several IRB committees serve this function. The Human Subjects Division (HSD) provides administrative support and facilitates IRB review; assisting researchers throughout the process. Visit the UW Human Subjects Division Site.
The IRB has the authority to make specific determinations:
  • that activity IS or IS NOT research and/or involving human subjects, or 
  • that research qualifies for exemption. 
The IRB also has the authority to take the following actions related to human subjects research:
  • Approve 
  • Conditionally Approve 
  • Require Modifications 
  • Defer 
  • Disapprove 
  • Stop a study 
IRB Review Types
Research is reviewed according to the potential level of risk to subjects, federal regulatory guidelines, and stage of the research.
  • Exemption 
  • Minimal Risk ("Expedited") 
  • Full IRB 
  • Modification 
  • Continuing Review 
  • Non-compliance 
  • Adverse Events/Unanticipated Problems 
Do my activities need IRB review?
Faculty, staff, or students at the UW who plan to conduct research that involves people (human subjects - directly, through records, or other data or specimens) are likely to need IRB review. Some activities may not require IRB review, although they may seem to be research with human subjects, such as class assignments, program evaluation, or quality assurance/improvement efforts. If you are uncertain if the activities you are planning require review, contact the Human Subjects Division.
Is the UW the right IRB for review?
The UW IRB reviews the majority of human subjects research conducted by UW researchers.
There are exceptions:
  • Industry-sponsored and -initiated clinical trials use Western IRB (WIRB) 
  • Research with one of three state agencies - DSHS, DOH, and L&I use Washington State IRB (WSIRB) 
  • Cancer research use Cancer Consortium IRB (CC-IRB) 
  • Research at an institution/organization with which the UW IRB has a Cooperative Agreement, for example: Seattle Children’s Hospital, Virginia Mason Med.Ctr./Benaroya Research Institute, Group Health Cooperative, and Swedish Medical Center.
Which application should I use?
Most research reviewed by the UW IRB is submitted using the Standard IRB Application. Other options include the applications for Exemptions, Medical Records, and Repositories. If your research will be reviewed by another IRB - check their web sites and instructions.


Next: Policies Page