Office of Sponsored Research Staff

Contact Us

The Office of Sponsored Research Staff

As of September 2022, most of us are working remotely. Email is still the best way to connect with us! 


Carolyn-Brennan portraitCarolyn Brennan
Assistant Vice Chancellor
Phone: 425.352.5355
Office: UW2-124
Assistant Vice Chancellor responsible for supporting all aspects of research administration and connected learning for the UW Bothell campus. 


Cindy Shirley PortraitCindy Shirley
Director, UW Bothell Sponsored Programs
Phone: 425.352.3398
A Certified Research Administrator and UW Bothell OSP here to assist in the wide-range aspects of research administration for UW Bothell.

UW Authorized signing official


Leena-Perera-PortraitLeena Perera
Budget Fiscal Analyst Lead
Phone: 425.352.5492
Leena is a Fiscal Analyst focused on reconciling budgets, collecting GCCRs, and clarify fiscal compliance in the grants world.

Sarah Verlinde-AzofeifaSarah Verlinde-Azofeifa
Administrative and Communications Manager
Phone: 425.352.3795
Website/marketing, special projects, research administration and fiscal compliance. Contact Sarah if you want to add special graphics to your proposal or improve your online presence prior to grant submission. Supports the Offices of Sponsored Research and Connected Learning.


Amanda Sendele portraitAmanda Sendele
Program Coordinator
Phone: 425.352.3528
Supports the Offices of Sponsored Research and Connected Learning with administrative work.




Office location
Truly House
18140 110th Ave NE
Bothell, WA 98011
47.759598, -122.193003

Mailing Address
Sponsored Research - UW Bothell
Box 358523
17927 113th AVE NE
Bothell, WA 98011


Office of Sponsored Research Services

Not sure who to contact? Most of our staff is cross-trained in many services.


  • Carolyn Brennan - looking for opportunities, grant writing and development, early career development
  • Cindy Shirley - budget development, kick-off meetings with PIs
  • Leena Perera - creates eGC1s for UW Bothell faculty
  • Sarah Verlinde-Azofeifa - creates eGC1s for UW Bothell faculty, proposal graphs and image development/graphic design, improve researcher/lab website presence, digital badging, video production questions


  • Cindy Shirley - manages Faculty Effort Certifications (FECs)
  • Leena Perera - fiscal compliance contact, manages Grant and Contract Certification Reports (GCCRs) for staff effort, approves cost transfers for faculty, reconciles all grant budgets for faculty, quarterly check-ins and kick-off meetings with UW Bothell faculty PIs.
  • Sarah Verlinde-Azofeifa - posts "new award" announcements 

Office of Sponsored Programs

In addition to her role in the Office of Sponsored Research, Cindy Shirley also serves UW Bothell with a dotted-line to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) in Seattle.  OSP reviews and submits proposals to external sponsors and accepts funding on behalf of the University for research, instruction, and other sponsored activity.

OSP supports the research community by establishing policies related to sponsored program funding, providing guidance and consultation, and serving as a formal liaison with the sponsor on administrative changes  throughout the life of the award.  Cindy is available to answer questions related to your project.

Indirect Cost Recovery Distribution

The indirect cost recovery division at UW Bothell is as follows: 60% of the funds received go to the Office of Sponsored Research.  The remaining 40% go to the School/Center, who have their own distribution guidelines.  Calculation takes place after the year end and distribution generally happens in the fall.

Undergraduate Research

This office is now located under the Office of Connected Learning.

OSR Policies

Annual Reports

UW Bothell Award Reports in detail