Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What I need to do to get financial aid at University of Washington?

  • UWB will need a copy of your current year FAFSA.  If you did not list University of Washington on your FAFSA you will need to add our school code (003798 (same for all UW campuses)) to your FAFSA.
  • Student financial aid does not directly transfer between schools.  In other words, UW will recalculate your eligibility from scratch based on the information on your FAFSA and funds available.
  • If you borrowed a Federal Student Loan or received a portion of your Pell grant during the same academic year in that you are starting at UWB, you must contact you previous school’s financial aid office to cancel any remaining undisbursed portion of your student loan or Pell grant.
  • There is an annual limit for student loans, based on your grade level that you can borrow in an academic year.  Many students that transfer midyear into UWB have already received loan funds at their previous school.  UWB will award you only remaining of your annual loan eligibility to avoid over awards.  If you have an over award, UWB will be required to reduce your loans and if you received the funds, you will need to repay them to UWB immediately. 

How do I find out what I am receiving in financial aid?

  • If you were recently admitted and would like to get an estimate of your financial aid award, check out our net price calculator
  • Once your financial aid package is determined an email notification will be sent to you with instructions on how to view your awards electronically.  Read this e-mail careful and follow all the instructions given to you.

I got my financial aid offer.  What’s next?

  • The first and main step to take once you receive your financial aid offer is to respond to it by the provided deadline.  If you fail to do so your financial aid offer will be canceled.
  • As you probably already noticed your financial aid is divided equally among quarters you are planning to attend.  As a standard procedure your financial aid will be applied to your current tuition charges first. Any remaining amount will be sent to you.
  • We recommend enrolling in direct deposit through MyUW account so funds post directly to your bank account. Otherwise, any financial aid refund will be mailed to your local address no sooner than a few days before the start of each quarter.

What if my financial aid is not enough to cover my tuition?

  • If tuition and fees are not fully covered by financial aid, UW will not drop your classes.
  • Failure to pay your outstanding balance may result in a hold on your academic records and/or your account being referred to an outside collection agency, which will add additional charges. All students are required to pay all tuition and fees for any registered course unless they officially withdraw from the university during first week of the quarter.