Award Process

Award Process

After we receive your application for aid and you are admitted to the University of Washington Bothell, we will send you an email notification instructing you to log in to your myUW portal.  There you can review the details of your award. We start awarding in the spring before the next academic year begins.

If you receive a "Notice of Preliminary Award" (an estimate of your eligibility for aid) you may accept this initial award; however, we will complete a review of the information you provided on the FAFSA before your award can be confirmed. If you receive a "Notice of Award," then your application has been reviewed and your eligibility confirmed. However, you must accept your award online at your myUW portal by the date indicated to reserve your aid. Please follow the instructions below to ensure that your aid will be ready for you when you start the school year.

Set up your MyUW NetID Account

You will need to set up your UW NetID in order to access your online Financial Aid award. You can go to the following website to  create your UW NetID.

View your Award Letter

Check for errors in your address, social security number, and other information about you.  Read the assumptions (e.g. state residency, enrollment status, number of quarters you plan to attend this year). Please contact our office if any of the assumptions are incorrect. If you are not a Washington resident but pay resident tuition because of a departmental appointment or Armed Services status, note the tuition benefit in the Resources Review/Update section in the Financial Aid Status of you myUW portal.

Accept or reject each form of aid listed

You may accept an award now and change your mind later. If you reject an award, or if you don't accept it by the 'reply date', the award will be cancelled. Most of our financial aid funds are limited and we may not be able to reinstate the aid later if you decide that you need the funds. 

You may accept or reject aid from any fund without losing the other aid offered in your award letter. Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, and the Federal Pell Grant can usually be reinstated. If you would like us to replace Work Study with a federal loan then contact our office after you accept your award. We are not able to replace loans with grants.

Determine how much you want to borrow

If you have been offered loans and you do not wish to borrow the full amount offered you can let our office know how much you want to borrow and we will adjust the amount of loan offered.  To review additional information, see the Student Loan Program Chart and Completing Paperwork for Loans.

Make sure your award reflects any outside scholarships, benefits, and awards

You must report any information about your resources (and, if married, your spouse's) that you have not already formally reported to our office. It is important that our office has current and complete information on your resources throughout the year; otherwise, you risk being over-awarded and having to repay aid.

Understand your obligations as a financial aid recipient

  • Enroll full-time each quarter and attend all your classes (12 credits for undergraduate and certification students; 10 credits for graduates).

  • If you enroll in less than full time credits please contact our office so that we can ensure that your aid is disbursed appropriately.

  • Pass sufficient credits to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Report new sources of support and changes in personal circumstances (e.g., changing from non-resident to resident status, divorce, moving to parents' home) as soon as you learn of them.

Accept your award on myUW by the reply date

Accept your award in myUW Financial Aid Status before the replay date. If you do not accept it by this date, we will cancel your aid in order to offer it to another student. Once you respond, we will continue processing your application, and you may receive revised award letters reflecting changes in your contribution and your award. Review these revisions on myUW and sign and accept or reject any new aid that has been offered to you.

Remember, accepting our aid offer does not mean that you are accepting our admissions offer. New First Year Students need to pay the New Student Orientation Fee (NSEOF) to the Office of Admissions by May 1 to reserve their place.

Complete your file

You must respond to any requests we make for certification statements, tax return transcripts, or any other documentation needed to finalize your award. Since we cannot disburse any funds until all required information is submitted and reviewed, please reply promptly to any correspondence from us. 

Receive your financial aid

What comes next?  Review the disbursement page to find out when your aid will disburse, how to sign up for direct deposit, and what to do if you want your parents to have access to your financial aid information.