Join the Elementary Education Option
SES students who satisfy the admissions requirements listed below are admitted to the Elementary Education Option. To join the Elementary Education Option, students are required to submit an online application. The Elementary Education Option admits once a year for a Spring Quarter cohorted program start.
- Submit online application
- Must be a Educational Studies Major for at least 1 quarter
- Minimum of 80 credits of community college or university coursework
- Advisor-approved plan to complete Elementary Education foundation coursework by the start of the cohorted teaching methods quarter
- 2.0 cumulative GPA
- 2.0 GPA in SES coursework
- Academic Breadth completed or in-progress
- Reading, Writing & Math Test Scores - SAT, ACT, or WEST-B scores
- This is a state-mandated requirement
- No minimum score required
- Scores older than 5 years are accepted
- Accepted "basic skills" tests:
- SAT Reading, Math, Writing or Essay sections
- ACT Reading, Math, & Writing sections
- WEST-B, Reading, Math, & Writing subtests
Admissions Information & Resources
- S/NS Grades during COVID-19. For quarters designated as having extenuating circumstances, SES will consider an S (satisfactory) grade as fulfilling an admission requirements. S grades will not negatively impact your application to the Elementary Education Option.
- WEST-B Resources:
Students accepted to the Elementary Education Option are legally required to submit their fingerprints to the Washington state Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction for Washington State Patrol and FBI background checks.
Approved background checks are required before a teacher candidate can apply for their Pre-Residency Clearance, a pre-certification legally required for student teaching.
If students have any questions or concerns about fingerprinting or the implications of state and federal background checks, please contact an Educational Studies advisor.