Frequently Asked Questions

Elementary (K-8) Teacher Certification - Post Baccalaureate

Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed.

Master of Education

Leadership Development for Educators (LEDE)

Education Minor

Elementary (K-8) Teacher Certification

What is a Post Baccalaureate program?

A Post-Baccalaureate program is a 5th year program taken after you have already completed your Bachelors degree.  Our Post-Baccalaureate program leads to K-8 Teacher Certification in Washington State and is offered at undergraduate tuition rates.

Is this a full-time program?

Students commit full-time to four consecutive quarters of coursework and school placement beginning with spring quarter and attend during the day.

What is the cost of the K-8 Teacher Certification program?

At UW Bothell, as of autumn quarter 2015, the tuition cost of the post bac program is approximately $16,000, not including books and miscellaneous fees.

Please check the University of Washington Tuition and Fees web site for the most current tuition information.

When is the application deadline?

Applications are due the first week of January, each year.

Is there an interview?

Yes. A group interview will be held following the application deadline.

What makes a competitive applicant?

A competitive applicant is someone who submits a complete application by the deadline, and has a strong commitment to students and to the UW Bothell School of Educational Studies core mission and values.

Who should I contact for more information?

For application advising and information, contact SES Advisor: Erica Lind


Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed.

What is a M.Ed. program with Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification?

Candidates in the Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. will obtain teacher certification for high school and middle level as well as a master’s degree. The Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. is a rigorous research-based academic program that challenges you to integrate research and practice.   You will be encouraged to think about the complex nature of education, to explore questions about equity and social justice, examine your own learning and professional growth, and develop sustained, collegial relationships with UW Bothell faculty, public school personnel, and colleagues.

How is this M.Ed. different than and MIT with teacher certification.

A M.Ed. challenges you to understand learning and practice that is research based and to examine educational issues including social, economic, and political tensions.   The M.Ed. culminates in a Completion Dossier, a collection of documents and reflections that demonstrate learning of program goals grounded by the University of Washington Bothell's  Conceptual Framework.  (link)  Practicing teachers or educators in other fields will be part of some of the M.Ed. courses and provide perspectives beyond teacher preparation or the classroom.   Because a M.Ed. is a research based program, it will also prepare you for further education such as an Ed.D or a PhD.

When does the Secondary and Middle Level Teacher Certification M.Ed. program begin?

The Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. starts a new cohort each Autumn quarter. The application deadline is in early April for the following autumn quarter.

Is an interview required as part of the admissions process?

Yes. A group interview will be held following the application deadline.

What makes a competitive applicant?

A competitive applicant is someone who submits a complete application by the deadline, and has a strong commitment to students and to the UW Bothell School of Educational Studies core mission and values.

How long does it take to complete the Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. program?

This program takes two years to complete. Courses must be taken in the order offered and you progress from one quarter to the next.

You take classes two nights week during the first three quarters of the program (Autumn, Winter, and Spring). This schedule continues during Autumn and Winter of your second year. There are no courses summer quarter. The second year begins in late august, full time, day time, through winter quarter.

Which endorsements does the UW Bothell Education Program offer through the Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. program?

The UW Bothell Education Program is approved to offer endorsements in:

  • Biology
  • English/Language Arts
  • History
  • Mathematics
  • Social Studies

Do I need an undergraduate degree in the subject area I want to teach?

No, you do not need to have an undergraduate degree in the subject area you want to teach. You do need to show that you have completed the college level coursework required by UW Bothell in your endorsement area.

For each endorsement area, there is a Transcript Review form that lists the subjects you must have covered in your college level coursework. Please go to the Application Checklist web page for the Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. to see the Transcript Review forms for each endorsement area.

What courses count towards my endorsement course requirements?

College level coursework from an accredited institution (including community colleges) and classes taken via online, or distance learning programs may be used towards endorsement course requirements. All classes must be listed on an official college transcript.

Can I apply without having completed all of the endorsement requirements?

All endorsement coursework must be completed in order to be unconditionally admitted to the program. In some circumstances, students are admitted on a conditional basis and able to complete admissions requirements in the Summer before the program starts.

Can I transfer courses from another teacher preparation program into the UW Bothell program?

The UW Bothell Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. program has been designed to be taken as a series of courses in sequence. You cannot substitute courses from another teacher preparation program in place of required courses in this program.

What is the cost of the Secondary Teacher Certification M.Ed. program?

Approximately $33,000, not including fees.

Tuition rates are subject to change and you should check the most recent tuition rates at Tuition & Fees on the UW Bothell web site.

Who should I contact for more information?

For application advising and information, contact SES Advisor: Erica Lind


Master of Education

Is the Master of Education an MIT program?

No. The Master of Education program does NOT result in a teacher's certificate. A Master in Teaching (MIT) program is primarily a teacher certification program with extra credits that result in a masters degree that is officially recognized by school districts for salary purposes. The Master of Education is a full master's program which focuses on a deeper understanding of the complex nature of education.

Why would I get a Master of Education?

The Master of Education program gives you the opportunity to deeply explore the topic of education. This program is aimed at classroom teachers and people working in the field of education who already have experience and want to further their knowledge.

In our M.Ed. program, you will be encouraged to think about the complex nature of education, to explore questions central to your professional growth, and to develop sustained, collegial relationships with peers from across the region.

Can I add endorsements to my current Washington State Teacher Residency Certification through this program?

We do not have a pathway for earning additional endorsements for currently certified teachers at this time. If you are already a certified teacher and you want to earn just your Master of Education degree, please explore the UW Bothell Master of Education program.


Education Minor

Why would I get an Education Minor?

Getting an Education Minor can help you decide whether you want to pursue teaching as a career. You will have an opportunity to explore current issues and challenges in the field of education. Many of the Education Minor courses include opportunities to volunteer in community schools. This experience can be used towards your "work with youth" application requirement for the teacher certification programs.

In addition, 16 of the 25 credits can be applied to your K-8 Teacher Certification program which will shorten your time in getting a K-8 teacher certificate.


Leadership Development for Educators (LEDE)

What are the admission requirements?

  • The UW Graduate School requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA in the last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits of graded upper-division coursework.
  • Current Washington State Professional Teacher Certification (or equivalent continuing certification). Applicants from private schools should also show comparable teaching experience and professional development.
  • The ideal candidate is a current K-12 teacher with 5 or more years of teaching experience and has either formal or informal experience in instructional leadership and support.

Can I work full-time and still complete this program?

Yes. The program is designed for full-time teachers. Class sessions are scheduled one full Saturday per month with online coursework required between sessions. A 3-day Summer Institute is required for transition into the second year of the program.

How long is the program?

Candidates are registered for a total of 5 quarters.  About 80% of our students complete the program within 2 academic years.

In year 1, candidates will only register autumn quarter, for 2-12 credits, depending on transfer/waiver credits.  Winter and spring quarter candidates will focus on supporting instructional leadership and will not need to register for classes because they will be completing a 400 hour internship.

In year 2, candidates are enrolled full-time in autumn and winter quarters, and part-time in spring quarter. Candidates are required to complete a 2nd internship (minimum of 400 hours).  

Sample program structure

How many credits will I earn?

The number of credits candidates can earn throughout the program will range anywhere from between 30-40 credits, depending on how many credits are transferred or waived.

Can I transfer credits into the program?

Students may transfer up to 6 credits toward their first quarter registration. These credits must be graded and cannot have been used previously toward another degree. Please provide the LEDE program advisor with one set of official transcripts from the university where you earned these credits.

Am I eligible for waiver credits?

The LEDE program faculty may award up to 4 waiver credits from previous experience. The faculty will base their decision on the information you provide on your supplemental application. When filling out the supplemental application, err on the side of providing too much information.

Am I eligible to have any of my internship hours waived?

Like waiver credits, the LEDE program faculty may waive up to 200 of the 400 hours required for your Part 1 Internship. The waiver of internship credits will be based on your previous experience, provided on the supplemental application form.

Students are not eligible to have any hours waived for their Part 2 Internship. The Part 2 Internship requires a minimum of 400 hours.

When are seminars held?

All seminars are held at the UW Bothell campus and meet approximately one Saturday a month. Seminars are held at the UW Bothell campus and begin at 8:30am and end at 4:30pm.

How often do you admit students into the program?

We admit students every spring and autumn quarter. Applicants with extensive formal teacher leadership experience generally are admitted Autumn Quarter. Applicants admitted Spring Quarter will earn 2 credits of additional teacher leadership analysis and experience in order to more fully prepare them for work that begins in Autumn.

The recommended starting quarter is determined by faculty review of a Supplemental Application.

What if I already have a master's degree?

We are unable to uncouple the principal certification with the Master’s degree requirements. About 60% of our LEDE candidates already have a Master’s degree. The combine degree and certification structure of LEDE adds no additional costs to the program as a whole.

Where will I do my internship?

The Part 1 Internship (focusing on instructional leadership and support) is embedded in your current job. The Part 2 Internship (focusing on traditional principal internship responsibilities) can be completed in your own school or in a different school and/or district. Note, some districts have an internal intern selection process and you must be chosen by your district. Candidates are encouraged to do complete their Part 2 Internship in a different school from where they work.

What is the overall cost of the program?

The overall cost of the program ranges from $16,000 - $20,000, depending on waiver/transfer credits. For more information about the transfer/waiver process, please contact the LEDE graduate program advisor.

Please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid website for Graduate Students for information about scholarships and other financial aid opportunities

What materials are required to apply to the LEDE program?

Please go to our Application Information page on our website.


Contact Michele Graaff, LEDE/ECSEL Advisor at

Other links related to Washington Residency Principal Certification: