Registration policies

On this page:

Full-time requirements

You should register for 12 or more credits to be considered full-time if you are an undergraduate student. If you are a graduate student, you should register for 10 or more credits. It is important to note that differing criteria and standards for full-time enrollment exist for eligibility in certain programs. Consult the Financial Aid Office for its requirements on satisfactory student progress. To be classified as a half-time student by the University, an undergraduate must register for and complete at least 6 credits per quarter. A graduate student must register for and complete 5 credits per quarter.

↑ Back to top

Class attendance

If you do not attend regularly scheduled class meetings during the first week of the quarter, you are subject to being dropped at the discretion of the program to allow enrollment space for other students. Do not assume that departments will automatically drop you from the course if you do not attend. If you are not going to go to class, you should drop the course on MyUW. Students who are registered for a course but do not attend will be assigned a failing grade by the instructor. You may not attend a University course in which you have not been officially registered after the first two weeks of the quarter.

↑ Back to top

Registration tampering

A student who tampers or attempts to tamper with the registration records of another student, including but not limited to dropping and adding courses, may be subject to disciplinary sanctions as defined in the Student Conduct Code (WAC 478-121).

↑ Back to top

Registration abuse

Web registration is a personal service. The use of robots and other automated tools to submit registration requests is expressly forbidden.

↑ Back to top

Registration eligibility

Newly admitted students and students readmitted to the same or a new classification (e.g., undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate), or admitted to a different University campus, are eligible to register in Registration Period II after their enrollment confirmation deposit has been received.

Continuing UW Bothell students who remain in good academic standing are guaranteed the opportunity to register each quarter at the same University campus as long as they maintain continuous enrollment (excluding Summer Quarter), or fall within the guidelines of the quarter-off policy. Continuation must be in the same classification (e.g., undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate) and at the same campus. After a student has earned a baccalaureate degree, he or she must apply for readmission as a post-baccalaureate, non-matriculated, or graduate student. Any student wishing to enroll at a different University of Washington campus must apply for admission to that campus.

Exceptions to the guarantee of registration eligibility include students under disciplinary action, students with a financial hold on their records, and students not meeting their departmental or University satisfactory progress policies. Additionally, continuing students who withdraw during the first week of two consecutive quarters (Summer Quarter not included) will not be eligible to register as continuing students for the third quarter and must reapply as former students returning to the University. If an undergraduate does not enroll for two or more quarters, he or she must file an application for readmission with the Office of Admissions.

↑ Back to top

Math placement policy

The University of Washington Bothell uses Directed Self-Placement (DSP) to determine which math course students should enroll in. The “self-placement” part of this is that you will decide for yourself what math class you will enroll in. This process will be directed, though. That is, you will be asked a series of questions to get you to reflect on your background in mathematics. Based on your responses to these questions, you will receive an initial suggestion for which course to take. You will then have an opportunity to read more about the class that has been suggested for you. Based on what you read, and what you know about yourself and your own mathematics background, you may decide that the class before or after that would be a better fit for you.

The goal here is to determine which math class will allow you to be most successful – the class where you will feel challenged and stimulated, but not overwhelmed. In the end, the decision will be yours. This process may take up to 20 minutes, and the more honest you are with yourself, the more likely you will be to determine the class that will be the best fit for you. We hope that your direct involvement and control in this process will help foster your sense of agency as a student and will lead to a successful mathematics experience at UWB.

Click on the link below to begin the process. If at any point you have questions about filling out this form, please reach out to for help.

Take the Directed Math Self-Placement survey

↑ Back to top

Composition directed self-placement

The first-year composition experience can be fulfilled by completing one of the following options below, which are chosen by students in a directed self-placement (DSP) step-by-step process (see explanation below). The philosophy behind the DSP placement model is to provide students with agency and choice, knowing that with the right guidance and information on the program and course options, most students will make good placement choices (Royer & Gilles, 1998; 2003). Students know best their own reading and writing capabilities and experiences, and will feel more confident going into whatever course option they choose (Reynolds, 2003). This placement model has also shown in research to improve classroom cultures in which students feel forced or placed there by high-stakes tests or test scores. Students in similar DSP programs have shown high levels of satisfaction with their course choices and development along course outcomes (Inoue, 2009; 2012; Royer & Gilles, 2003). The bottom line is that our DSP process is designed to give students guidance and control over their educational journey and help them accomplish the writing goals we understand they need for success in the future in school and beyond (Asao Inoue “UW Tacoma DSP”).

The process

This is a 20-minute process to help you decide on an appropriate composition course placement. In this process, you will complete the following easy steps:

  • Review the course options and the successful student profiles for each course option
  • Read a few examples of typical student writing from each option
  • Complete a 5-minute writing prompt
  • Make a course selection

This process will produce a course placement only; ultimately, you, as a student, make the final decision.

Take the Composition Directed Self-Placement Survey

↑ Back to top

Cross-campus registration

All students enrolled at one UW campus may register for courses at another UW campus on a space-available basis, starting on the first day of Registration Period II for Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters. In Summer quarter, cross-campus enrollment is allowed in Period I as well.

Freshmen must earn a minimum of 25 credits at UW campuses before cross campus registration is permitted. All other students must earn a minimum of 15 credits at UW campuses before cross campus registration is permitted. Non-matriculated students are also not allowed to enroll cross-campus. This includes non-matriculated students taking courses under the UW staff or Washington State tuition exemption. Students may not be admitted and enrolled at separate campuses simultaneously. Double degrees or majors will not be permitted to cross campus lines, and majors will be restricted to a single campus. However, students who earn a minor at the alternate campus may have that minor recorded with the degree on the transcript at graduation.

A maximum of 45 credits earned through cross-enrollment may count toward a bachelor’s degree. (Graduate students are limited to 12 credits.) This restriction is not monitored, so there is no restriction to the number of credits a student may complete by cross-enrollment; only to the number that may count toward a degree. If there are excess cross-enrollment credits, the program or school adviser should note this on the application for graduation. DARS is not programmed to know at which campus courses are completed, so a DARS audit will not point out excess cross-enrollment credits.

Note that this 45-credit limit applies only to credits taken at one UW campus while enrolled at another. A student who attends one UW campus and then is admitted to another UW campus may count toward a bachelor’s degree any number of credits transferred from the first UW campus to the second (see below).

Cross-campus enrollment administrative details

The home campus is responsible for administrative and disciplinary issues. Hardship withdrawal petitions for all courses will be reviewed by the student’s home campus. Student activity fees are credited to the student’s home campus. Students are eligible for student activity fee-supported services only at their home campus. Only Seattle-campus students are eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics.

↑ Back to top

Restrictions on attending classes

No person, other than a faculty member attending informally with the approval of the instructor, may attend a University course in which that person has not been registered.

An instructor may allow a student to attend his or her class only if the student’s name is on the official class list from the Office of the Registrar. An unregistered student may attend through the fourteenth calendar day of the quarter, if the student is on an official waitlist for the course.

↑ Back to top

Quarter off policy

Undergraduate students who have completed a quarter at the UW Bothell may take the following quarter off, and remain eligible to register in Registration Period I for the subsequent quarter, without a returning student form. Any quarter from which a student has completely withdrawn, or from which he or she is cancelled, does not constitute a completed quarter. Summer Quarter enrollment is not required to maintain continuous registration eligibility. The quarter-off policy is not available for graduate students.

↑ Back to top