UW Bothell students can apply for travel funds from the Student Academic Enhancement Fund (SAEF)
The Student Academic Enhancement Fund has been fully allocated. Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Established by the Services and Activities Fee Committee (SAF) and administered by ASUWB. Individual awards of up to $1,500 and group awards of up to $4,500 help fund students’ educational travel in accordance with at least one of the three following criteria:
Application Requirements & Information:
- Applications must be must be submitted at least:
- a. Seven academic weeks prior to start of domestic travel
- b. Nine academic weeks prior to start of international travel
- Finals week and breaks are not considered academic weeks. Please keep this in mind when applying and allocate additional time.
- a. Example 1: There are breaks or finals weeks between application submission date and date of travel: if you submit an application during Week 1 of Winter Quarter, the earliest you can travel domestically is Week 8 of Winter Quarter.
- b. Example 2: There are breaks or finals weeks between application submission date and date of travel: if you submit an application during Week 6 of Winter Quarter, the earliest you can travel domestically is Week 3 of Spring Quarter because Winter Quarter finals week and Spring Break week do not count towards the seven week requirement.
- Students may apply to different award caps:
- a. For individual applications, there will be a $1,500 award cap per event, and a $3,000 total award cap per student for the fiscal year (July 1st - June 30th).
- b. For students who are applying to the same conference, there will be a $4,500 (group only) award cap.
- i. Every individual must submit their own application, and list the applicants that will be attending with them. Applications will be denied if this award cap is chosen and only one application is submitted.
- All applications must include a supporting letter of recommendation from a faculty or staff adviser familiar with the project. The letter of recommendation must be attached with the application before submission.
- All applications must provide evidence or screenshots of lodging and airfare research.
- a. You must show separate research for lodging costs and airfare costs. You may not use package deals or bundles for research since these may not be purchased by the university.
- b. The university will only fund the most cost-effective travel method and has certain limits on lodging costs. Keep this in mind as you research, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions. For groups or pairs, we encourage you to researcg the possibility of shared lodging. This requirement has been added to enocurage students to look for cost-effective options, ultimately allowing the ASUWB team to support a larger pool of students.
- You may receive additional questions from the ASUWB Treasurer regarding your travel proposal. If students have any questions or concerns, they may contact the Treasurer to talk about their application (email@example.com)
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY NOT BEING ACCEPTED.
Limits on SAEF Grants:
SAEF awards will not cover any food cost or food diem associated with the event. All meals are the responsibility of the SAEF recipient.
SAEF awards may cover the most economical means of transportation to and from the event and lodging only. This includes taxis, Uber X or Uber Pool, Lyft, etc. SAEF awards may not be used for UCAR or other university fleet vehicles.
SAEF awards may not be used to obtain academic credit. However, students may use SAEF funds to attend traditionally academic trips as long as they are not receiving credit.
SAEF awards will not be granted in conjunction with another SAF funding source. (Ex: SAEF awards cannot be granted if Club Council has already funded conference registration)
ASUWB approves SAEF applications during weekly general meetings. Open public meeting information can be found on our website.
Additional Award Information:
Students may apply to different award caps. For an individual application, there will be a $500 award and $1,500 award-- with a $2,500 cap per fiscal year (July 1st-June 30th). Students who are applying to the same conference, there will be a $4,500 award cap.
The approved application amount is final, additional expenses that exceed the approved request are the responsibility of the SAEF recipient.
In the case, another person is attending the conference and they are sharing the same room, their roommate must cover their portion of the costs.
Students may not use SAEF funds to combine conference and personal travel.
Flights arrive at the latest possible time and leave at the earliest times around the conference, most often this means SAEF recipients will arrive at their destination one day before and leave the day after.
Students are required to meet with Jessica (firstname.lastname@example.org) to book through CBT for travel. To optimize funding we suggest meeting 6-8 business weeks for domestic travel and 9-12 for international before the trip.
All approved costs for airfare, lodging, and conference registration will be paid by the university in advance. Other costs, such as allowable ground transportation and parking will be reimbursed. Expenses that are incurred prior to both SAEF award and meeting with Fiscal Specialist will not be reimbursed. Please read and understand what is considered non-reimbursable. Non-Reimbursable Travel Expenses.
All students must abide by the University of Washington Student Conduct Code.
It is required for all applicants to create and update a blog of their experience. If the requirement is not met, the student may be asked to return the awarded funds according to UW Bothell Fiscal Policy. If approved the Senator of Internal Affairs will contact you to further explain the requirements of this process.
All students must abide by the University of Washington Student Conduct Code which can be found here, https://www.uwb.edu/studentaffairs/studentconduct.
All applicants must send photos to the ASUWB team of their experience. If the requirement is not met, the student may be asked to return the awarded funds according to UW Bothell Fiscal Policy. If approved, the Treasurer will contact you to further explainthese requirements.
Past SAEF Recipients expereinces on our external ASUWB blog
Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis
You may be contacted for clarification and may be asked to present your proposal to ASUWB.
For planning purposes, please note that some costs, if approved, can be paid in advance by the University, while others will be reimbursed.
Please read and understand what is considered non-reimbursable costs
ASUWB has the right to revoke the funding for SAEF awards.
No student may receive over $3,000 annually through SAEF and $1,500 per conference.
ASUWB will try to send as many students as possible. However each conference has a cap at $4,500.
Additional Funding Sources:
If you have any further questions, contact: