Name Change Policy and Gender Identity


Student Record Name

The Student Record Name is the name that is provided initially by the applicant through the admissions application process. It appears on the official transcript and financial documents, even if a student has identified a different Preferred, Commencement, or Diploma Name. It is also used as the default for Commencement and Diploma Name if the student has not provided an alternative by the specified deadline for such purposes.

Updating a Student Record Name

  1. For a student to change his/her name, Change of Name Form is required along with legal documentation and/or proof of usage of the student’s new name. A name change may be processed either in person, at the Office of the Registrar, located at the Husky Hall Welcome Center, or through the mail provided the necessary documentation is submitted. The mailing address is: UWB Office of the Registrar, 17927 113th Ave NE, Box 358500, Bothell WA 98011. We will accept name changes for students who are currently enrolled and for previous students whose records are maintained in the student database. A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full is the primary document required. You must also submit a document that states your date of birth, a photograph and a signature.
  2. If these documents are not available, then the student must demonstrate usage. The student must provide proof that she/he is the person whose name is being changed. This typically requires photo ID. Once verified, the student must submit a minimum of two of the documents listed below. At least one of the documents must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature:
    • Former ID
    • Valid driver’s license
    • Valid ID
    • Valid military ID
    • Student ID
    • Valid passport
    • Original copy of citizenship form that contains signature & photograph
    • Foreign country’s passport
    • A federally recognized Indian tribe’s enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card containing the signature and photograph of the individual.
    • Employee identification cards
    • Business License
    • Birth Certificate
    • Social Security Card
    • Utility, telephone, medical bills that show name used
  3. Students may change their middle name(s) to an initial or vice versa without documentation. Documentation is required if a student is adding or deleting a middle name.

Back to top

Preferred Name

A Preferred Name is the name that a student would like others at the UW Bothell to call them instead of their Student Record Name. The Preferred Name (or Chosen Name) is one that students can change as often as desired.

Where Preferred Name is Used

The Preferred Name can be consumed by a wide variety of applications at the University, including the unofficial transcript, class rosters, Husky Card, and the Electronic Advising Record System (EARS), to name a few. Be sure to provide a Preferred Name to the University only if you would be comfortable with anyone seeing this name in print.

How to Update Preferred Name

Log into [UWNetID required] to make changes.

Visit the Preferred Names webpage to learn more.

Back to top

Commencement Program Name

The Commencement Program Name is used in the annual online or virtual commencement program on each of the three University of Washington campuses.

How to Update Commencement Program Name

Students who have graduated or will graduate during a specific academic year are sent an email (to their email address) providing them with the opportunity to either opt out of being listed in that year’s Commencement Program or to provide a Commencement Program Name for the program. There is a deadline for this action, which is based on publication and/or printing deadlines.

Students who miss the stated deadline will have their Student Record Name printed.

Back to top

Diploma Name

The Diploma Name appears on the official University of Washington diploma if a student has designated a specific Diploma Name to be used apart from the Student Record name.

Where Diploma Name is Used

Diploma Name appears on the official University of Washington paper printed and ceDiploma.

How to Update Diploma Name

First-time diploma recipients
Students can have their diploma issued in the name of their choice by providing that name information into the Diploma Name and Address form prior to graduation. Also, students who have graduated are sent an email (to their email address) approximately 6 weeks after their graduation date regarding their diploma. This email gives students the opportunity to submit the Diploma Name and diploma mailing address for their diploma. There is a deadline for this action, based on diploma printing timelines.

Students who miss the stated deadline will have their Student Record Name printed on their diploma and it will be mailed to the permanent address per UW records.

Replacement diploma recipients
Graduates who have received their initial diploma and would like to purchase a replacement diploma with a Diploma Name that differs from the original can follow the directions to choose a Diploma Name on the Graduation and Diplomas webpage.

Back to top

Gender Identity

The UW Bothell Office of the Registrar supports students’ identity and respects that gender is fluid and subject to change by allowing them to manage their gender identity in University systems.

How to Update Gender Identity

How to Update Gender Identity

Requests to change the gender listed on the student record can be made either in person at the Husky Hall Welcome Desk or by emailing No documentation is required.

Back to top