How to Apply
Enrollment Dates and Application Deadlines
As a cohort program, the MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics admits students only for Autumn Quarter of each year.
Priority Deadline for Autumn 2024 is February 1, 2024.
Priority deadline applicants can expect to receive notification regarding admissions decisions in mid-March. Admitted students are asked to return their acceptance of offers by April 15 (or request an extension).
After our priority deadline, the MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics accepts and reviews applications on a rolling basis if space remains open. Please get in touch to learn more.
Contact the Graduate Admission Advisor to inquire about space availability and/or upcoming submission deadlines.
How to Apply
The application to the MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics is submitted electronically.
To apply, you will need to:
- Create an Applicant Profile (or Log In to Your Account) with the UW Graduate School.
- Choose “Creative Writing & Poetics (MFA) – Bothell Campus” after completing an applicant profile.
- Follow all instructions to:
- upload your application materials (see list below)
- designate recommenders
- pay the application fee ($85), and
- submit all materials for review.
Your application can be saved multiple times while in progress.
It will not be reviewed until all items have been received electronically.
To complete your application, please submit:
- A statement of intent (2-3 pages, double-spaced) articulating your goals in pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics. Please address how this program’s emphasis on poetics is a valuable mode of study for you and your creative work.
- A writing sample (no more than ten pages of poetry; twenty pages of prose; or twenty pages total of a multi-genre submission.)
- Unofficial transcripts from all prior academic work (college, university, technical school, etc.)
- Two letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member who can discuss your academic and writing abilities
- [Optional] A resume or curriculum vitae (c.v.)
- [Optional] Samples of multi-media or multi-art work if you would like to complement other pieces of the application. Three-dimensional work may be delivered to the Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences Graduate Office. Contact the office for details: firstname.lastname@example.org. This step is not required, and choosing not to submit anything does not decrease your admissibility.
There are special application requirements for International Students. Find more information on the Graduate School web site. Proficiency in English is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant or enrolled student whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. To learn about English Language Proficiency requirements, please refer to Memo 8 from the Graduate School.
For students entering the MFA in 2023, the cost of tuition for the 2023-2024 academic year is $752 per credit or $7,520 per quarter of full-time (10 credits) study.
The university does apply some fees for technology, student activities, and similar.
As a fee-based degree, this program does not qualify for the Washington State Tuition Exemption Program or any other tuition reduction benefit.
The MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics program does not accept transfer credits taken at another academic institution or taken prior to enrolling in the program.
Application Fee Waivers
UW Graduate School Application Fee Waivers
Applicants who have financial need and those who participate in the McNairs Scholars or PPIA Fellows programs may be eligible for an application fee waiver from the UW Graduate School. See the UW Graduate School fee waiver policy and application
Applicants who meet the following criteria can request that IAS Graduate Programs cover their application fee:
- Current and former IAS students
- Previous, referred applicants to the MFA in Creative Writing at UW Seattle
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in a relevant major
- Participation in a program information session or consultation with an admissions advisor
Contact an admissions advisor for more details at email@example.com.
For More Information
- Contact the IAS Graduate Office
Contact a Student Ambassador
Connect with current MFA students, ask questions, arrange a campus tour, and learn about the student experience from our Student Ambassadors.