Sites with Math Topics
Statistics & Probability
Visually Representing Quantitative Information
Other Math Centers
Math and Anxiety
UW Bothell Related
- Rice University Virtual Lab in Statistics. Good resource for statistics review including online textbook and simulations.
- Monty Hall Puzzler. A great description and animation of a classic probability problem.
- UWB Library Statistics Guide: Need to find data, but not sure where to look? Check out this page that has many statistical databases listed!
- University of Wollongong Statistical Literacy Modules: This site created by the University of Wollongong offers up a series of modules designed to help users learn about the world of statistics. As their site suggests, the modules will help users become more knowledgeable about surveys and scientific experiments. Users will want to look at the short explanations concerning the purpose of these modules and statistics in general before getting started. Currently, the site offers two modules: "Producing Data" and "Describing, Clarifying and Presenting Data". In each module, visitors will be presented with detailed explanations of these different aspects of statistics in a language that is quite accessible.
- Policy Expert Business Statistics Resources: A great source of business-related data and statistics from Policy Expert. The site contains multiple links.
- The National Numeracy Network an organization dedicated to increasing quantitative literacy for all citizens.
- SIGMAA QL A special interest group of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) focused on QL.
- Quantitative Writing (on the NNN website) Information on how to integrate quantitative writing across disciplines.
- Radical Math a resource for educators interested in integrating issues of social and economic justice into their math classes and curriculum. Also a resource for educators wanting to integrate QL into their courses dealing with issues of social and economic justice!
- Mathematics and Democracy A book (available electronically) prepared by the National Council on Education and the Disciplines. Attempts to define quantitative literacy (QL) and argues for the need for QL.
- UW Bothell Library Data Services physical and virtual resources for finding, analyzing, visualizing, and managing data.
- Using Charts some hints on what to do and what not to do when including visuals in your presentation, from the Strategic Communications resource library
- Guidelines for Effective Graphics, tutorial on the Kaiser Family Foundation website
- Guidelines for Good Statistical Graphics in Excel, from the Statistical Services Centre at the University of Reading
- Guidelines for Statistical Graphs, from the Energy Information Administration
- Just Plain Data Analysis companion website for the book Just Plain Data Analysis: Finding, Presenting, and Interpreting Social Science Data, by Gary Klass
- Gapminder: An animated graph of the world's trends
- Interactive Simulations for physics, biology, chemistry, earth science, and math. Made by the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Basic Math Tutorials. Four tutorials created by Dr. Jackels are available here. The topics include: scientific notation, substitution, logarithms, and unit conversions. A great resource for a quick refresher on these topics.
- Paul's Online Math Notes Tutorials created by Paul Dawkins from Lamar University.They include notes on Algebra, Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations as well as some common math errors and how to study math.
- College Algebra Online Tutorials The staff at the West Texas A&M University's Virtual Math Lab have done a fine job creating a series of online algebra tutorials for student and anyone else who might be returning to the world of algebra.
- Excel: Use for Analysis of Economics Data A collection of handouts assuming no knowledge of Excel and relatively little knowledge of statistics.
- Calculator Operations TI-82, TI-83+, TI-84+, and TI-86
- Learning Styles. This Learning Style questionnaire can help you decide what kind of "learner" you are and how you can maximize your learning.
- Reducing Math Anxiety. This website includes tips on how to reduce your math anxiety.