What is Canvas?
Canvas is a new learning management system used by all three UW campuses.
Canvas courses are automatically created for faculty through the UW system.
Similar in function to Blackboard, instructors can use Canvas to:
Blackboard to Canvas Transition
UW Bothell has begun to transition from Blackboard to using Canvas as our main learning management system. Because of this, we recommend that all students and faculty get acquainted with Canvas as soon as possible. UWB Learning Technologies has provided Canvas tutorials and resources that are all available through this page.
Some of the guides that may help ease the transition process include:
Key Features of Canvas
Canvas has many features that make it stand out from other LMSs, including:
- Smooth course organization and navigation
- A course file repository, a central place where instructors can upload course files and link them to areas in the course
- The Rich Content Editor, including a video integration feature available in most course tools
- A wide range of communication options--offering users the option to notify them of changes in the course via Facebook, Twitter, email or text message
- The SpeedGrader tool (available within Canvas and as an app for the iPad) allows instructors to quickly grade and send assignments to the gradebook
- Built-in rubrics that help wtih assessing online coursework and communicating expected assignment quality
- Embedded video functionality
- Discussion boards that function as a space for discourse, conversation, and communication
- Users' calendars and syllabi sync with course due dates