Students planning to study abroad during any upcoming academic term are invited to apply. The application typically opens 3-4 weeks before the deadline.
The UW Bothell Study Abroad Ambassador Scholarship helps to offset travel expenses required to participate in a study abroad program. Applicants must be current UW Bothell students enrolled full-time, residents of Washington State, have a minimum 2.75 GPA, and commit to promoting study abroad opportunities in the Bothell community upon their return as a Study Abroad Ambassador. Awards range from $500 to $2,000.
Above: Kendall Wiggins in Machu Picchu, Peru. Read about her experiences studying and traveling in South America on the Voices from Around the World blog.
Students will be selected for the UW Bothell Study Abroad Ambassador Scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in a UW Bothell degree program, including the quarter following study abroad.
- Washington State residency.
- Acceptance into an academically or personally relevant, credit-earning study abroad program. (Acceptance is not required at the time of application).
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Track record of contribution to the community, in and/or outside the UW Bothell campus.
- Commitment to promoting study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community.
- Preference will be given to first time applicants.
Applications are submitted online via Catalyst. You will be asked to provide:
- Basic personal information.
- Resume: remember to tailor it to this application. Make sure to include a section with your involvement in the community, in and/or outside the UW Bothell campus.
- Copy of most recent transcript.
- Name, dates, and relevance of your study abroad program.
- Estimated or actual airfare for your study abroad program.
- Essay describing how you plan to promote study abroad and other international enrichment opportunities in the Bothell community (up to 500 words).
- Statement of financial impact.
- One letter of recommendation from a UW Bothell faculty or staff member who can attest to your contribution to the community, in and outside of the classroom, and your ambassadorial qualities. Letters, in hard or electronic copy, should be submitted to:
Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
18115 Campus Way NE, Box 358563
Bothell, WA 98011
Complete your application and ensure submission of all supporting materials by one of the following dates:
- Monday, November 25, 2019 at noon
- Thursday, February 20, 2020 at midnight
- Updated to Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 11:59pm
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 11:59pm
Students planning to study abroad during any upcoming academic term are invited to apply. Late applications will not be accepted.
Notification and Disbursement
Award recipients will be notified by e-mail within four to six weeks of the deadline and their names may be announced publicly via UW Bothell media and publications. Funds will be credited to the recipients' UWB tuition statement in the quarter following their study abroad program, via the Office of Financial Aid.
Meet the Ambassadors here.