Until April 23, 2020, due to the public health emergency, STFC meetings will be held virtually via Zoom to discuss essential and necessary items only. If agenda items are not essential, then the STFC committee will not meet, to discuss such items.
The meeting link can be found in the "Meeting Minutes" section under "Agenda" for the next schedule meeting.
About the Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee (STF) Committee is a yearly committee of students appointed by the ASUWB. We are responsible for reviewing proposals related to the $42/quarter technology fee that each student pays, and making funding recommendations to ASUWB. Proposals on how the money should be spent can be submitted by any current student, faculty, or staff member of UWB.
The fee supplements University or external funding of technology for student use. Money from the fee is not used to fund items that should properly be funded by legislative or administrative funds. If funding is critical to a programs curriculum, this is not the appropriate funding source. Funding for projects are made on a yearly-basis, hence proposals made to the committee should not be contingent upon subsequent years of funding.
Proposals must show that the primary benefit is to students, include a summary of student input, provide a long term plan for operation, and address issues of student access. The committee does not fund: equipment used for classroom instruction, ongoing maintenance and supply costs, salary for full-time or part-time staff or students; or wireless networking outside of the University’s central deployment.
2019- 2020 Application Process
Funding Cycle - This is the second funding cycle for the year. This is the final application cycle for this school year. Funding from this cycle will be available for the next fiscal year.
AVAILABLE FUNDS FOR SECOND CYCLE- $1,000,000
Instructions for Submitting Proposals:
1. Fill out a copy of the application to submit online via google form. Read the following document: STF Guidelines.
2. All proposals must be reviewed by Dan Sullivan, Jim Pilon, and Adri MacArthur before they are submitted to the STF committee. It is recommended that you work with these staff early, so that they can provide guidance on your project.
3. All proposals must be reviewed by IT, Facilities, and possibly space planning. Adri MacArthur (IT), Dan Sullivan (Facilities), and possibly David Moehring (Space Planning) and Jim Pilon (Fiscal). You will need to submit signed copies of the following documents verifying IT and Facilities have reviewed your plan:
Facilities Letter of Consideration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HoCZb6-I4Jv4x-psaJTj2FdGHyUIxihG/view?usp=sharing
IT Letter of Consideration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S4C_V0q1jjaJsoqbstrjF2F3RysBuQe2/view?usp=sharing
Fiscal Services Letter of Consideration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JDP7mgooO3IwYZC3A0pcmi-dq3CirFzZ/view?usp=sharing
PPSM Letter of Consideration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CSdN9H05oyBpXbKRG3Bygd6qRWvwIB6T/view?usp=sharing
Additionally, every proposal must have an assigned letter by either a Dean, Director, or Vice Chancellor, veryifying that their organization at the University will take responsibility for the equipment purchased through the proposal.
Dean/Director/Vice Chancellor Confirmation Letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dhUlGU5dq2BDkcKMTv-F4-Aint01LaVt/view?usp=sharing
Obviously, the sooner you send your plan to all of these faculty members, the more likely you’ll have the signed document before the final deadline. It is highly recommended you send your plan to IT and Facilities at least one week before the final deadline so there is time for them to look over your application.
4. Final proposals must be submitted via Google Form by 11:59 p.m. on March 18th, 2020.
Use https://forms.gle/z2RZyEbRtqsLVrDc7 if the above link doesn’t work.
Cycle 2 Application Word Doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t1pps-yfj3lXiEpo0XVSMenLL4EoaW-g/view?usp=sharing
- Final application deadline 11:59 pm on March 18th
- Hearing notification by 6:00 pm (Date: TBD)
- Hearings for selected applications between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm on March 27th and between 2:00pm and 4:00pm on April 3rd
- Tentative decisions announced by 6:00 pm on April 24th
- Hearings for appeals between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm on May 1st
- Final decisions will be announced by 6:00 pm on May 8th
How to Join the STF Committee
As a member of the Student Technology Fee (STF) Committee you will:
- Meet weekly throughout the academic year. Every Friday from 2-4pm
- Review proposals on how the STF money should be spent.
- Allocate STF funding with stipulations (approximately $2,100,000).
- Explore methods and guidelines to maximize the benefit that the STF has on the student population.
- Must be a current student at UWB, enrolled in at least five credits for Autumn, Winter, and Spring terms.
- Must be in good academic and behavioral standing (as defined by UWB General Catalog and the Student Conduct code) at the time of application and while serving as a member of the STF Committee.
- Must be able to meet weekly on Fridays from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the regular academic year.