Title IX and other resources at UW

The University of Washington has a vision of being a leader and model within higher education for achieving gender equity, and providing and maintaining a respectful learning and working environment free from sexual harassment, sexual violence, and gender discrimination.

What is Title IX?

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Title IX, Washington State law, and University of Washington policy prohibit discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, pregnant or parenting status, and LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) identity.

Other UW resources related to sexual violence prevention and response

As a member of the UW Bothell community, we encourage you to start by connecting with the UW Bothell confidential advocate. The advocate can help you explore your options and figure out what resources may be helpful for you.

Keep reading, and use the links below, to explore some of these resources on your own. Keep in mind that the offices listed below have varying levels of privilege and confidentiality that they can offer. An advocate is the only resource able to offer truly confidential support centered around healing from sexual and relationship violence.

Unless otherwise stated, resources mentioned below are based on the Seattle campus but serve the entire UW community.

"Know your rights & resources" guide

The UW Office of the Title IX Coordinator has put together a "Know your rights & resources" guide for students and employees who experience sexual assault, stalking, relationship or intimate partner violene, sexual harassment, and/or other sexual misconduct. The guide is also available in a text-only version.

Support resources


SafeCampus provides consultation and support 24 hours a day/7 days a week and works with campus partners to assess and respond to concerns about personal or workplace safety. SafeCampus is the central office designated to assist and support members of the University community who witness or are made aware of behavior prohibited by University policy. SafeCampus can be reached at 206-685-7233 or safecampus@uw.edu.

Confidential advocates

Are you looking for support on behalf of a friend who is based on the Seattle or Tacoma campus, or who is part of UW Medicine? Click here to see a list of the confidential advocates and who they serve.

Making a report to the University

Any student, staff person, or faculty member who has experienced any type of sexual misconduct has the right to make a report to the University. The University of Washington has several designated offices responsible for responding to, investigating, and resolving complaints. These officers serve all UW campuses and locations except where noted; the appropriate office to contact depends, in part, on the role of the person who is alleged to have engaged in the misconduct. An advocate can help you explore these options and determine which one is most appropriate to respond to take your report.

Title IX Investigation Office

The Title IX Inveistgation Office takes complaints that a student has violated the sexual misconduct provisions of the Student Conduct Code. They can be reached at 206-616-5334 or tixinv@uw.edu.

University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO)

UCIRO takes complaints concerning the behavior of University employees, including faculty, staff, and student employees at all UW locations. They can be reached at 206-616-2028 or UCIRO@uw.edu.

Human Resources

Making a report to the police

You have the right to report to the police, or to the University, or to both, or to neither. It is completely up to you. If you choose to report to the police, it is likely that the report will need to be made to the police department that has jurisdiction where the incident(s) occured. You have the right to have an advocate with you when you make the report and for any subsequent interviews. An advocate can help you determine which police department can take your report. Or, if you prefer, you can call the non-emergency number for your local police department and ask them to help you determine jurisdiction.

Join our mailing list

Want to stay up-to-date on what's going on with the Violence Prevention & Advocacy Program? Click here to sign up for our mailing list!