Mathematics Endorsement Requirements
Why an Endorsement?
Washington state teachers must be certified to teach and must hold an endorsement in a teaching subject. To be eligible for an endorsement, applicants must complete college-level coursework in their endorsement subject to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of various topics in the discipline. Specific endorsement competency areas are outlined by the State of Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
Mathematics Endorsement Course Requirements
- Algebra - 2 courses
1 course must be 200-level or higher
- Calculus Sequence - 2-3 courses*
Multivariable Calculus encouraged, but not recommended
- Discrete Mathematics (200-level or higher) - 1 course
- History of Mathematics or Foundations of Mathematics - 1 course
- Geometry (200-level or higher) - 1 course
- Statistics - 2 courses OR Calculus-based Statistics - 1 course
*Depends on institution (semester or quarter school)
- Courses with a minimum grade of 2.0 will be accepted
- 100-level or higher community college or university course level will be accepted, except where 200-level requirement is noted
- Courses may fulfill more than one content area requirement
- Because courses may fulfill multiple requirements, students must complete a minimum of 45 quarter credits or 30 semester credits of coursework in Mathematics (a major in Mathematics is not required)
It is strongly recommended that applicants work with an admissions or School of Educational Studies advisor to complete an endorsement area transcript review to determine if any course requirements are missing.
Applicants may be asked to submit a syllabus to determine whether a course meets endorsement area competencies.
Approved UW Bothell Endorsement Courses
Endorsement Course Syllabus Review Request
Unsure whether a course you've taken meets an endorsement requirement? Complete this form to request that a past, current, or future course be considered for an endorsement requirement. Please submit the course syllabus - course descriptions will not be reviewed.
Please provide up to two weeks for requests to be processed.
Endorsement Course Petition
Prospective Secondary & Middle Level students may petition to substitute an endorsement area requirement with a course from another area. Additionally, prospective students may request an exemption from an endorsement requirement. Sample petitions:
Sample substitution request: substitute one requirement for another because institution did not offer courses in that area
Sample exemption request: earned lower than a 2.0 in an endorsement requirement, but completed an advanced degree in the discipline