Chemistry Endorsement Prerequisites
The School of Educational Studies has approved a temporary suspension of admissions to the Secondary & Middle Level Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate. The program will be paused for two years (2022-2023; 2023-2024). Currently-enrolled students are not affected. We are reevaluating a program delivery model that will best serve our students, local school districts, and community. Please check back for further updates as they become available.
Why an Endorsement?
Washington state teachers must be certified to teach and must hold an endorsement in a teaching subject. To be eligible for an endorsement, applicants must complete college-level coursework in their endorsement subject to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of various topics in the discipline. Specific endorsement competency areas are outlined by the State of Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
Chemistry Endorsement Course Prerequisites
- Chemistry General Introductory Sequence with lab - 2-3 courses*
- Organic Chemistry with lab- 1-2 courses*
- Quantitative Chemistry - 1 course
- Chemistry in Society - 1 course
- Biochemistry - 1 course
- Physical Chemistry - 1 course
- Upper-division Chemistry - 2 courses
300-level or higher
Must include 1 lab
- Faculty-mentored Research in Chemistry or Chemistry Education - 1 course
- Introductory Physics Sequence - 2-3 courses*
- Calculus Sequence - 2-3 courses*
Multivariable Calculus encouraged, but not recommended
*Depends on institution (semester or quarter school)
- Courses with a minimum grade of 2.0 or C will be accepted
- 100-level or higher community college or university course level will be accepted, except where 300-level requirement is noted
- Courses may filfill more than one content area requirement
It is strongly recommended that applicants work with an admissions or School of Educational Studies advisor to complete an endorsement area transcript review to determine if any course requirements are missing.
Applicants may be asked to submit a syllabus to determine whether a course meets endorsement area competencies.
Approved UW Bothell Endorsement Courses
Endorsement Course Syllabus Review Request
Evaluations are on pause while program is being reevaluated.
Unsure whether a course you've taken satisfies an endorsement prerequisite? Complete this form to request that a past, current, or future course be considered for an endorsement prerequisite. Please submit the course syllabus - course descriptions alone will not be reviewed.
Please provide up to two weeks for requests to be processed.
Endorsement Course Petition
Petitions are on pause while program is being reevaluated.
Prospective Secondary & Middle Level students may petition to substitute an endorsement area prerequisite with a course from another area. Additionally, prospective students may request an exemption from an endorsement prerequisite. Sample petitions:
Sample substitution request: substitute one prerequisite for another because institution did not offer courses in that area
Sample exemption request: earned lower than a 2.0 in an endorsement prerequisite, but completed an advanced degree in the discipline