Requirements to Apply
All applicants, regardless of intended endorsement, must meet the following application requirements. We strongly encourage all prospective applicants to contact an Admissions or Educational Studies advisor prior to applying.
COVID-19 Admissions Update
Because many Washington school districts will start the 2020-21 school year with remote learning, the School of Educational Studies is waiving the 20 hours of classroom experience application requirement for all teacher certification programs for the 2020-21 application cycle. Elementary and Secondary certification applicants are instead encouraged to submit documentation of any experience with adolescents they may have had in the last two years, including classroom, youth programming, daycare or volunteer experiences. Applicants may reflect on these experiences when answering application essay questions. Additionally, applicants may substitute their School-Based Recommendation with an additional Academic or Employer Recommendation.
- Online application
- 3 Admissions Essays
- Based on your recent experiences in a public middle or high school, what have you learned about students as learners? (please see above admissions update)
- Share what strengths and perspectives you would bring to UW Bothell's teacher certification program based on your lived experiences.
- How does your decision to become a teacher align with our program's emphasis on equity and social justice in curriculum and instruction?
- Transcripts for all degree-granting institutions and institutions where you completed content area coursework (if completed as a non-matriculated student)
- Documentation of 20 hours of classroom experience in a 6-12 grade classroom (submitted through the online application - supervising teacher will receive an email with an online form to verify hours) - please see above admissions update
- Documentation of Endorsement Area Coursework
- An admissions or School of Educational Studies advisor will work with you to complete an Endorsement Area Transcript Review form for your intended endorsement
- Submit a transcript or an enrollment verfication form for courses in progress.
- Two Recommendations (submitted through the online application):
- School-Based Recommendation: a recommendation from a teacher who has observed you in the classroom--can be completed by the same person verifying your 20 hours of experience (please see above admissions update)
- Academic or Professional Recommendation
- Reading, Writing & Math Test Scores
- Scores older than 5 years are accepted
- Accepted "basic skills" tests:
Recommended but not required: Endorsement Area Test Scores
- Passing WEST-E test scores for History endorsement
- Passing NES test scores for Biology, Chemistry, English Language Arts, Mathematics or Physics endorsements
Please note you may experience a 24-48 hour delay after completing your application before the online system prompts you to upload supporting documentation.
If you experience difficulty with the online application, or if you have any questions about the status of your application, you can contact the UW Bothell Office of Admissions by email at email@example.com.
Students accepted to the Secondary & Middle Level Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate will be legally required to submit their fingerprints to the Washington state Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction for Washington State Patrol and FBI background checks.
Approved background checks are required before a teacher candidate can apply for their Pre-Residency Clearance, a pre-certification legally required for student teaching.
If students have any questions or concerns about fingerprinting or the implications of state and federal background checks, please contact an Educational Studies advisor.