The University of Washington has established ten Organizational Health and Safety Committees (HSC) to actively engage employees in efforts to reduce illnesses and injuries in the workplace. Each member of the HSCs serves a two-year term based on calendar year and is a source of health and safety information for both their colleagues and units.
HSCs are also an important aspect of ensuring employee inclusion into the campus culture of safety to encourage respect, excellence, collaboration, integrity and innovation.
For additional information on university-wide health and safety guidelines please visit UW EH&S Health and Safety Committees.
- Review and evaluate health and safety inspection reports
- Review and evaluate accident investigation reports
- Review and evaluate the UWB emergency, accident, and illness prevention programs
- Provide a forum for employee concerns about health, safety, and facilities at UWB
- Ensure unit health and safety documents are up to date on an annual basis
The Health and Safety Committee meets the second Tuesday of each month, 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. (currently via Zoom)
Accident Prevention Plan Bothell Addendum
2022-23 Health & Safety Committee
- Beatrice Erickson, program coordinator, Academic Affairs
- Bryce Figueroa, reserves specialist, Library
- Kameron Harper, program coordinator, Planning & Administration
- Alaron Lewis, associate teaching professor, School of STEM
- Jolie Lucero, program operations specialist, School of Nursing
- Mary Mahon, executive assistant to the chancellor, Office of the Chancellor
- Laura Mansfield, director of digital communications, Advancement & External Relations
- Sherri Nielsen, program coordinator, School of Business
- Bobby Bagsby, Assistant Director, Campus Safety
- Cham Kao, Director, Campus Safety
- Allyson Long, EHS & Emergency Specialist
The election is conducted in two phases. The first phase is the nomination phase. Nominees are requested for the elected committee representatives. The second phase is the final election when a ballot with the nominees' names is distributed for a campus vote.
Elections for membership are held annually for two-year terms. One half of the membership is elected each year.
A committee member generally spends at least two (2) hours per month on committee business, plus an additional 4 to 8 hours each year for orientation and training. Terms are for two (2) years. There is no limit to the number of terms an individual may serve; current committee members are eligible for re-election.
Campus Safety Bulletin Boards
HSC meeting highlights are posted to campus safety bulletin boards. Please contact UWB EH&S for HSC meeting minutes or safety bulletin board postings and locations.