Withdrawing for Autumn, Winter, or Spring

Autumn, Winter & Spring Quarter

It is your responsibility to withdraw if you are unable to attend for the quarter. You may withdraw on MyUW (only through the 7th week of the quarter), in person, or write to the Registrar's Office, Box 358500, University of Washington, Bothell, Washington, 98011-8246. Withdrawals by mail are effective on the date of the post-mark.

If you drop your last course on MyUW and do not add another course you will be considered withdrawn for the quarter. Beginning the eighth calendar day of the quarter, if you drop your last course you will be charged a Change of Registration service fee plus any tuition forfeiture.

No withdrawals are accepted after the last day of instruction.

Please review the academic calendar for important dates and deadlines. 

Transcript Entries

If you withdraw from a quarter during the first two weeks, the courses for that quarter are not recorded on your UW transcript; however, the date of the withdrawal is recorded. After this deadline, a course will be listed on an undergraduate's transcript with a "W" grade and a week designator, i.e. "W3".


Students who withdraw may be entitled to a refund of all or a portion of the tuition and fees for a given quarter depending on the time of the quarter the withdrawal is completed.

Tuition owed will be based upon the date the complete withdrawal is recorded at the Registration Office, the date that the last course is dropped, or the postmark date for withdrawals received by mail.

Withdrawal by Newly Admitted Students

Withdrawal from any quarter prior to the first day of the quarter for a newly admitted student invalidates your status as a continuing student. You must submit a new admission application by the published closing date for each quarter depending on your admission type (freshman, transfer, postbaccalaureate, graduate, international). Review the Registration Eligibility section of the Time Schedule if you are withdrawing before the first course day of the quarter.

Withdrawal for Two Consecutive Quarters

Both undergraduate and graduate students who withdraw during the first week of two consecutive quarters will not be eligible to register as a continuing student for the third quarter. You must reapply as a former student returning to the University and will be required to pay the application fee and Enrollment Confirmation Deposit. For example, if you withdraw during the first week of winter quarter and spring quarter, you must reapply as a returning former student for autumn quarter.