Name Change Policy

  1. For a student to change his/her name, Change of Name Form is required along with legal documentation and/or proof of usage of the student's new name. A name change may be processed either in person, at the Office of the Registrar, located at the Husky Hall Welcome Center, or through the mail provided the necessary documentation is submitted. The mailing address is: UWB Office of the Registrar, Box 358500, Bothell WA 98011. We will accept name changes for students who are currently enrolled and for previous students whose records are maintained in the student database. If there is a request for a name change on a student's academic record whose record is on microfilm, approval needs to be given by one of the registrars. A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full is the primary document required. You must also submit a document that states your date of birth, a photograph and a signature.

  2. If these documents are not available, then the student must demonstrate usage. The student must provide proof that she/he is the person whose name is being changed. This typically requires photo ID. Once verified, the student must submit a minimum of two of the documents listed below. At least one of the documents must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature:

    • Former ID
    • Valid driver's license
    • Valid ID
    • Valid military ID
    • Student ID
    • Valid passport
    • Original copy of citizenship form that contains signature & photograph
    • Foreign country's passport
    • A federally recognized Indian tribe's enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card containing the signature and photograph of the individual.
    • Employee identification cards
    • Business License
    • Birth Certificate
    • Social Security Card
    • Utility, telephone, medical bills that show name used
  3. Students may change their middle name(s) to an initial or vice versa without documentation. Documentation is required if a student is adding or deleting a middle name.

  4. If a student requests a name change and she/he is currently enrolled, that change may be delayed until the end of quarter since confusion could occur during the grading process. If the instructors already have grade sheets with the prior name, a change will not be made until the quarter has ended.      
  5. Once a name change has been recorded, students who have a degree from the University may wish to order a new diploma. Click on this link: Diploma Order Form