Registration Eligibility

Students in Good Standing

All students at the University of Washington, Bothell who remain in good standing and in compliance with other rules and regulations, with no outstanding financial obligations, are guaranteed the opportunity to register each quarter as long as they maintain continuous enrollment (summer quarter excepted). Continuation must be in the same classification, e.g., undergraduate, postbaccalaureate (fifth-year), graduate, etc. Once a student earns a baccalaureate degree, he or she must apply for admission as a post baccalaureate (fifth year), nonmatriculated, or graduate student. Exceptions to the guarantee are:

  • Students under disciplinary action
  • Students with a registration hold
  • Students not meeting their departmental continuation policies
  • Students not meeting the University's satisfactory progress policy.

You will not be eligible to register if you have an outstanding debit on your tuition and fee account, (check your account on MyUW). Contact the UWB Cashier's Office and pay any fees due, in order to register.

Priority Registration/Continuing Students

Currently enrolled undergraduate students or undergraduate students who are quarter off eligible should register according to the Priority Registration Schedule. Priority registration dates are based on your completed credits, your currently registered courses (as of two days prior to the first day of registration), and the last digit of your student number. The student number priority is changed each quarter so that all students have the earliest possible priority every other quarter.

Registration and Transcript Holds

A Hold will stop you from either registering or getting a copy of your transcript or both. A Registration or Transcript Hold is placed on your student record if you have an outstanding financial obligation to the University or have not met a particular enrollment requirement. You will receive written notification from the department placing a Hold on your student record.

A Hold is not removed until you resolve the problem which caused the issuing department to place the Hold on your record. A department may place a financial Hold if you owe money and have not paid. For instance, a department may check out a room key to you. If you fail to return the key, the department will put a financial Hold on your record. The Hold will remain until you return the key or pay to have it replaced. A department may also place an academic Hold on your student record. For instance, once a student has completed 105 credits at the University, the Office of the Registrar will place a Registration Hold until you have either declared a major area of study or you have requested a pre-major extension.

Some departments place Holds directly on the Student Data Base. Other departments request the Office of the Registrar to place their Holds for them. In this latter circumstance, the department will need to contact the Office of the Registrar to release your Hold. Be sure to check when you clear your Hold on how long it will take the department to have the Hold removed.