- Double check each course syllabus to verify your test dates and deadlines.
This week’s questions:
How can I prepare for midterms?
Create a study schedule you can maintain.
- Take some time to write down a schedule that takes into account your other obligations so you don’t feel like studying is taking over your life. This doesn’t mean you won’t have to move things around a bit, but looking at everything altogether can help you get some perspective.
- You may want to set reminders on your phone to help keep you on track, too. A study schedule only works if you can stick to it.
Review your syllabus and rubrics.
- While you’re studying or working on projects, make sure you refer to the syllabus, rubrics or other class notes about the project or test.
- These things are a checklist your professor made for you. If you follow them, you’ll be sure to meet the standards more often than if you ignore them.
- New followers on twitter and the “How was your day?” text from friends can wait. While you’re getting down to business, that’s your time to be focused and distraction-free.
- You may want to keep your phone in a drawer or charging in another room while you work to avoid the temptation. Goodness knows you could probably spend hours on YouTube if it meant you didn’t have to think about class.
How do I stay happy and healthy through midterms?
- I don’t mean during class. Sleep in your bed. At night. On purpose.
- When considering all the things you need to get done in a day, don’t forget to put sleep on the to-do list. It’s just as important as anything else on your list.
Make time to relax and relieve stress.
- Our brains don’t work as well when we’re too stressed out. Be sure to set aside some time to decompress. It’ll make you more productive in the end.
- Things like exercise, a nice walk or even an occasional movie night with friends can be helpful in restoring your mind and relieving stress.
If you have questions you don’t see on here, feel free to stop in at our Quick Questions Drop-In Advising. We’re in the Student Success Center (UW1-160) 10:00am to 4:00pm Monday-Thursday.
You can also reach us through email or by phone: