On Leave and Withdrawal

On Leave

Graduate students who wish to take time off from their study must apply for on-leave status to remain an active student. Visit the UW Graduate School's page Graduate On-Leave Status to submit a request for on-leave status. Visit the UW Graduate School's Memo 9 page to see eligibility and requirements for taking leave.


Graduate students who are unable to attend for the quarter must withdraw. Visit the UW Graduate School's Withdrawal, Quarter-Off, and On-Leave Policies page to see instructions for how to withdraw.


Graduate students who have failed to maintain graduate student status (on-leave status or registered) but who wishes to resume studies in their previous graduate program must submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School. Visit the UW Graduate School's Reinstatement page initiate a request.