Release of Student Directory Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) protects the privacy of student education records. Education records are “those records, files documents, and other materials which 1) contain information directly related to a student; and 2) are maintained by an educational institution. (20 U.S.C. § 1232g(a)(4)(A); 34 CFR § 99.3). FERPA applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.
Generally speaking, FERPA allows the University to disclose education records or personally identifiable information from education records in the following circumstances: with the written consent of the student, if the disclosure meets one of the statutory exemptions, or if the disclosure is directory information and the student has not placed a hold on release of directory information. However, pursuant to WAC 478-140-024(5), the following information is considered public or directory information and may be released to anyone unless you inform the Office of the Registrar that you do not wish any information released:
- street address
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- date of birth
- major and minor field(s) of studies
- dates of attendance
- degrees and awards received
- most recent educational institutions attended
- participation in officially recognized activites and sports
- and for athletes: date-of-birth, weight and height
NO to Release of Information
If you do not wish to authorize directory release and do not want your directory information to appear in the published or electronic Student Directory, you may restrict access through MyUW.
- Log into MyUW – requires a UW NetID.
- Go to Profile then by Student Directory Information click on “Change your release settings.”
- In the Directory Release section, select the No option.
No information will be released on students or to students, who have restricted release of directory information, including degrees awarded and dates of attendance.
Change from NO to YES
At any time after restricting the release of directory information, a student may change their mind and choose to authorize the University to release directory information and for it to appear in the University Student Directory. Students can grant such authorization via
- MyUW – requires UWNetID. Log in and select Profile, Student Directory Information, Directory Release to change options.
- In person at the Husky Hall Welcome Desk with valid photo identification.
- Email to email@example.com – Provide full name, student ID number, a scanned copy of photo ID (passport or state issued ID), request, and signature.
Notification of Students' Rights under FERPA
Under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have the right to:
- inspect and review information contained in education records
- request the amendment of education records the student believes inaccurate
- provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent
- file a complaint with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by institutions to comply with the Act. Written complaints should be directed to Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC 20202-5901