Finding Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduates can search faculty-mentored research and creative practice opportunities at UW Bothell campus. First year and pre-major students are encouraged to get involved!
Other Research Resources
- Visit the Annual Research Fair - faculty and researchers display opportunities in fall or winter and recruit students for the upcoming school year.
- Search the UW Seattle Undergraduate Research Program (URP) Database which includes several hundred undergraduate research opportunities.
- Talk to an advisor for help identifying the best opportunity fit for you. Advisors are available to assist you with applying to opportunities.
Summer Research Opportunities
With a variety of different opportunities for travel and learning, participating in summer research is a great way to build skills and experience, learn about the research process, and earn some money. Many summer research opportunities often provide stipends, living expenses, and sometimes pay for travel expenses.
Summer Research is a great way to spend your summer, so get started today!
- Start Early!
- Read Eligibility Requirements
- Spend Time on Application
- Apply to Multiple Opportunities
- Work one-on-one with faculty, graduate students, and post-docs
- Sharpen your critical, problem-solving and analytical thinking skills
- Complement and extend your classroom learning
- Develop skills for jobs, graduate or profession school
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Contribute to the creation of new knowledge
- Explore your interests in a discipline and clarify your career goals
Where to Look
- Start Looking (Fall): Deadlines for summer research opportunities start in January and February
- Apply (Winter): Check when applications are due and apply as early as possible.
- Announcements (Spring): Most programs will contact you in spring to line up your summer research. If you are not approved for the program you wanted, you still have time to find a local opportunity.
Summer Research at UW Seattle (highlights), deadlines Dec - Apr
Summer Research Throughout the U.S., deadlines Dec – Mar
International Research Opportunities, deadlines Nov - Jan
Other Summer Programs
Look for summer jobs and internships at Handshake.
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
The NIST Summer programs offers positions for students to do hands on work in labs. From biochemistry to statistics, students will be doing a variety of hands on work with an instructor who will guide them. There are many programs within the NIST itself.
Click for additional NIST Research information.
The Summer Research – Early Identification Program (SR - EIP)
This program encourages students from “traditionally underrepresented in the sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities to pursue research careers in the academic, public and private sectors.”
Click for additional SR - EIP information.
The Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF)
"The MLEF program provides opportunities to students who are pursuing degrees in science, technology (IT), engineering, or mathematics (STEM majors). The goal of the program is to improve opportunities for minority and female students in these fields, but all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply. There are many opportunities to work under the mentorship of program officials and researchers on focused research projects consistent with the mission of the Office of Fossil Energy." https://orise.orau.gov/mlef