Research and Independent Courses
There are courses that you can enroll in to do research or creative projects. Some of theses courses are independent course, some are research courses, and some are research-based course. Students need to connect with a faculty-mentor and with their advisor prior to enrolling. Here is a list of courses students can enroll in. This list may not be exhaustive/complete, updated Spring 2022.
School of Business
- B BUS 490 Special Topics in Business: Topics of current interest to faculty and students. Offered when allowed by faculty availability and sufficient student interest.
- B BUS 499 Undergraduate Research: Individual advanced research on topics related to business issues and conducted under the direction of one or more instructors.
School of Educational Studies
- B EDUC 300 Research & Educational Knowledge: Develops critical literacy of educational research. Explores issues of subjectivity and objectivity, political implications of research, standpoint of researcher, participatory action research, bringing self into study of education, and limits and benefits of qualitative and quantitative forms of inquiry in educational research.
School of IAS
- BES 398 Directed Study in Environmental Science: Intended for students who will be surveying existing research in areas of environmental study or science. Not intended for students who are producing advanced and original research in this area.
- BES 498 Independent Research in Environmental Science: Intended for students doing advanced research in areas of environmental study or science. The research for this course should require greater critical depth, independent reflection, and knowledge production than BES 398. This course will also satisfy the Interdisciplinary Practice & Reflection (IPR) requirement.
- B IMD 498 Independent Study/Research Individual study by arrangement with instructor. Offered: AWSpS.
- B IMD 499 Directed Study/Research Design and implementation of a directed study or research project as specified in a contract with a faculty member. Offered: AWSpS.
- BIS 398 Directed Study/Research Opportunity: for directed group or individual research on a topic/theme mutually agreed upon by instructor and student. Not intended for students who will be producing advanced and original research. Intended for students who are surveying existing research in a field.
- BIS 498 Undergraduate Research: Intended for students doing advanced research that requires greater critical depth, independent reflection, and knowledge production than BIS398. This course will also satisfy the Interdisciplinary Practice & Reflection (IPR) requirement.
- BIS 492 Senior Thesis: Intended for students doing an extensive independent research project on a significant scholarly topic. Students must enroll for 10 credits over two consecutive quarters. The student may earn an individual grade for each quarter of participation, or one grade assigned to both quarters once the project is complete. quarters once the project is complete.
School of Nursing & Health Sciences
- B HLTH 499 Undergraduate Research in Health Studies: Provides research-related activities under the supervision of a faculty mentor. Students gain an understanding of theoretical and methodological approaches, practical research skills, and importance in a health science field.
- B NURS 499 Undergraduate Research: The course provides an opportunity to investigate a selected problem and to do an analysis and interpretation of the findings resulting from the investigation under the supervision of a faculty member.
School of STEM
- B BIO 499 Undergraduate Research in Biology - Undergraduate research on a topic agreed upon by the instructor and student. Prerequisite: B BIO 220.
- B EE 498 Independent Study in Electrical Engineering - Independent study on a topic or area agreed upon by the instructor and student.
- B EE 499 Undergraduate Research in Electrical Engineering - Undergraduate research on a topic agreed upon by the instructor and student.
- B CHEM 499 Undergraduate Research in Chemistry - Undergraduate research on a topic or area agreed upon by the instructor and the student.
- B ME 499 Undergraduate Research in Mechanical Engineering - Undergraduate research on a topic or area agreed upon by the instructor and the student
- B PHYS 499 Undergraduate Research in Physics - Undergraduate research on a topic or area agreed upon by the instructor and the student.
- B PHYS 433 Experimental Physics: Senior Project (5) Students will be creating deliverable projects and communicating the outcomes and results of their project at end of quarter. Students may propose projects either related to ongoing research or connected to prior coursework in physics.
- CSS 198 : Supervised Study - Supervised exploration of computing-related topic or concept
- CSS 199: Computing Research - Exploration of computing research activities and processes as specified in a contract with a faculty member
- CSS 498 Independent Study - Individual study by arrangement with instructor.
- CSS 499 Undergraduate Research - Design and implementation of a research study as specified in a contract with a faculty member.
- STMATH 499 Undergraduate Research in Mathematics - Undergraduate research project agreed upon by the student and a mathematics faculty member.