Current Student Forms
Students use various forms as part of their studies to make academic requests such as taking a 400-level course, waiving a program requirement, or enrolling in independent study.
All responses must be typed (hand-written documents will not be accepted). Depending on the form, submission is either completed through a Google form or a PDF emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select a form to view the instructions and access the form:
B EE 400-Level Course Petition
To be used when requesting enrollment in a B EE 400-level course that will be counted toward your degree requirements. Remember, that a maximum of 10CR of 400-level classes is allowed with prior GPC (Graduate Program Coordinator) permission. Please read the following information carefully before filling out the petition form.
Generally, requests are processed within one week of receipt. During peak times of the academic year (e.g. first week of registration, summer orientation), responses may take longer. To allow time for review and approval before the quarter begins, please submit your request at least two weeks in advance. For inquiries into petition status, email the MSEE Graduate Advisor.
Taking a 400-level class may be a good option if you have not previously studied the topic(s) in your bachelor’s degree or GCEEF program, and at least one of the following conditions applies:
- There is no corresponding elective offered at the graduate level.
- The corresponding elective at the graduate level will not be offered during your degree plan. In this case, you should first discuss with the Graduate Advisor and appropriate faculty member, the possibility of doing an independent study (B EE 600). If an independent study is not feasible, a 400-level course may be approved instead.
- You would like to pursue an elective area as part of your thesis option, and the 400-level course provides needed framework for the knowledge of a relevant topic.
ADDITIONAL CONTEXT RELATIVE TO 400-LEVEL COURSES
- Two courses with a high percentage of overlapping content cannot be taken For example:
- B EE 436 and B EE 533
- B EE 437 and B EE 533
- B EE 442 and B EE 511
- B EE 445 and B EE 515
- B EE 450 and B EE 550
- B EE 455 and B EE 555
- B EE 457 and B EE 557
- B EE 478 and B EE 571
- B EE 486 and B EE 545
- B EE 425 is not an appropriate option if you have completed B EE 508, as the course content overlap is significant, and not informative to anyone who has already taken one or more of these classes.
Complete the Google form to submit it to your EE graduate academic advisor.
B EE 400-Level Petition form
To be used when a student would like to petition for an exception to a program requirement. Students must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as a course syllabus, transcript, etc., so the E&M Division has the information needed to review and approve/deny the request. Email the complete PDF form to the EE graduate advisor at email@example.com.
Graduation Petition form
B EE 600 Independent Study
To be used when a student would like to begin an independent study or research project on electrical engineering topics conducted under the direction of one or more instructors. View detailed instructions in the PDF, and submit the final signed form by all parties to the EE graduate advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B EE 600 Independent Study form
Request to Form a Supervisory Committee
To start the thesis process students must first form a supervisory committee. Please submit to your proposed committee this document and your answers to section 2 for their approval. Once committee members have signed their approval in section 3, submit both this cover sheet and answers for section 2 to EE graduate advisor at email@example.com for an entry code. Entry codes will be sent by the EE graduate programs upon approval (and completion of Section 5) by the Divisional Graduate Program Coordinator.
For a full explanation of the thesis process, including style guides and rubrics, visit the 'Thesis Process' page.
Request to Form Supervisory Committee form